Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger, proud of my baby!

Options
brewbq
brewbq Posts: 52
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
My Father-in-law bought me a Large BGE as a birthday/father's day/redeployment gift.  He took me to a grill store for "advice" on a grill he was getting for his new house.  When he asked me which he should go for, I explained the virtues of the Egg (had done research and was planning on buying one soon) and showed him a few types.  He asked what I'd get if I were getting one and after I listed everything, he turned to the manager and said, "ok, everything he said, box it up.  It's for him."  After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I did an not so gracious happy dance right there in the store.  Anyways, I've done a few cooks on it and thought I'd start sharing.  I can't say enough how much I love my Egg, and I can't wait to cook again.  Anyways, here's a few pics (I hear those are popular around here).  Anyone want to buy an old rusted barrel smoker?  : P

Comments

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    Excellent Father in Law. I have a smoker exactly like that. Just painted a few weeks ago. Also thanks for your service. Great looking cooks. I am planning on getting a XL BGE hopefully within a few weeks and retire or give away my old smoker.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    First - Thank you for your service.  Second - Welcome, you will find a lot of us ex and current military on the forum and a ton of people with great advice.  Third - you have an awesome father in law.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Wow, that is some Gift. Welcome I have never been part of such a helpful forum. Love your pics, Keep them coming.
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Nice, and nice pictures. Make sure to try a spatchcocked chicken soon. Very easy and you will not be disappointed.
    LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Thank you for your service-and as you well know-"better to be lucky than good" Fantastic F-I-L we should all be so lucky.  When the euphoria and dust settles just ask away, many here will help with any BGE (or not) related issue.  And, since you have done some research (good call again!) you know that this behaves different than what your prior smoking life taught you.  Welcome aboard.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    What a nice story, and an even better F-I-L. Thanks for sharing.
  • brewbq
    Options
    Thanks all.  F-I-L is awesome, and I'm not sure I'm worthy of such a gift.. but I'll take it, lol.  So far the egg has been awesome, but yeah, it is a LOT different than my previous smoker.  I have to re-learn how to cook, and un-learn some habits that don't work so well with the egg.  Not that I mind.  Thanks again for all the nice comments.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    brewbq, I too am fairly new with the egg, and I too have a rusted barrel smoker like yours (now sitting in the garage) and trust me you are better off! It does not take long to loose the bad habbits because the egg is so easy to use.  And by the way thank you for your service, I just retired 4 years ago (Gysgt USMC) and happy for it. Semper Fi 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Great story. We need to swtich FIL's (I just bought one for mine). Think I came out on the wrong side of that deal  :((

That side barrel smoker will make an excellent storage area for all your new egg toys. You could even plant something nice in the firebox to make it look a little more useful 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Cen-Tex i was thinking the same thing. Heck I put mine out to the side of the road with a free sign on it and no one took it, now that is funny. =))
  • FrankieP
    FrankieP Posts: 16
    Options
    What a great story. I started out with the same metal smoker you have. I've been egging for years and don't miss the metal one at all. The egg is a much better at everything.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Great gift!!!!  Now get that plate setter dirty!!!   Get rid of the new look!    Don't have ta say hope you enjoy, we all know you will enjoy!!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Congrats, great pictures.  Now get it dirty and post again, LOL.  Keep On Eggin!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    I wonder if you could use spray foam inside that old smoker.  A nice lining of spray foam then after it cures load it full of ice and it would be a great place to keep beer cold!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • brewbq
    Options
    @Eggucated That is a great idea.  Unfortunately I already sold it.  Craigslist works fast!