Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mrs. Cen-Tex's (AKA The Fabulous Janell) Tamale Recipe

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

This was brought up in another thread about pulled pork leftovers but wanted to be able to search for it later. It's a long process (we only do it once or twice a year) but the tamale's are awesome and the masa is to die for! The best thing about tamales, is that they are meant to make and eat with friends and family. So have yourself a tamale party and everyone will be happy.

Here you go:

This recipe was adapted from Mexico One Plate at at Time by Rick Bayless
http://www.amazon.com/Mexico-One-Plate-At-Time/dp/068484186X/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1335643053&sr=8-21

Smoked Pork Tamales

Filling:
4 cups finely shredded pork shoulder
Red Chili Sauce

2 1/2 oz Dried Ancho Chiles

3 cups Hot Water

1 Large Can Tomato Sauce

2 cloves Garlic

1/4 cup Sour Cream

1 1/2 tsp Salt

• Stem & seed the chiles, then toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat
  • Place in a bowl and cover with 3 cups very hot water
  • Soak for 20 minutes
  • Puree re-hydrated peppers with 1 1/2 cups of the soaking liquid, tomato sauce & minced garlic
  • Add sour cream and adjust salt to taste

*This makes 3 cups of sauce, which is more than you need. Add this sauce to the pork until it is moist, but not too wet. Freeze the extra sauce for up to a year or use it to make enchiladas.

Batter:
1 ¼ cups (10 oz) Rendered Lard
     2 lbs Pork Fat

• Ask your butcher to save scraps trimmed from roasts and chops. Don’t use salt pork or bacon fat, as the flavors are too strong.
  • Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
  • Cut fat into 1 inch cubes and spread it out in a deep baking dish
  • Place fat in oven and stir every once in a while until the fat renders into a clear liquid (about 2 hours).
  • Let lard cool to lukewarm and strain.

1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp salt
4 cups (2 lbs) fresh, coarse ground masa for tamales
*or* 3 ½ cups dried masa harina mixed with 2 ¼ cups hot water
1 ½ cup chicken broth

• Beat Lard, baking powder, and salt with an electric mixer on medium-high until light in texture (1 minute)
  • Continue beating as you add masa (fresh or reconstituted) in three additions.
  • Reduce speed to medium-low and add broth. Continue beating another minute or so, until a ½ tsp dollop of the batter floats in a cup of cold water (if it floats, the tamales will be tender and light).
  • Beat in enough of the remaining broth to give the mixture the consistency of cake batter (it should hold its shape in a spoon).
  • Taste and add extra salt if you think it needs it.
  • You can make this ahead of time, refrigerate for several days, then re-beat with a little broth or water to bring the batter to the soft consistency it had before.

Corn Husks:
8 oz package Dried Corn Husks

• soak in hot water for 3-5 hours until pliable
  • Choose 24 of the largest and most pliable husks and pat dry, then wrap in a damp dish cloth.

Making Tamales:

• Lay out one of your chosen corn husks with the tapered end towards you
  • Spread ¼ cup batter into about a 4 inch SQUARE in the middle of your husk. Leave at least a 1 ½ inch border at the tapered end.
  • Spoon ⅛ cup (2 Tbsp) filling down the center of the batter.
  • Pick up the 2 long sides of the corn husk and bring them together (this will cause the batter to surround the filling).
  • Roll the excess corn husk around the tamal and fold the 1 ½ inch tapered portion over to close the end, leaving the top open.
  • Once you’ve made 6 tamales, stack them together and tie them loosely with a string.

Steaming Tamales:

• Pour an inch or so of water in a steamer and heat to boiling
  • Stand your tamales on their folded ends in the steamer
  • Don’t pack the steamer too tightly, because they need room to expand
  • Steam at a constant medium heat for 1 ¼ hours, watching to make sure the water doesn’t evaporate. Add more water as needed.
  • Tamales are done when husks pull away from the masa easily.
  • For the best textured tamales, let them cool completely and  re-steam for 15 minutes before serving. However, we usually make these with friends and are a couple beers in and pretty hungry by this point. They are delicious either way.

Enjoy!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

What time at your house man

:-B
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Yep, count me in too.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No lie- I also forgot to mention that the best tamales are always the tamales somebody else makes. 

Plan A: Show up, roll a few, grub down, drink their beer and leave. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    Plan A works for me. Once more: What time?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good News/Bad News: Good News = Writing all this up made The Fabulous Janell antsy to cook up some tamales. Bad news = she's on one wheel for a month with a broken foot and all I do is the pulled pork. So you can all come over for Pulled Pork and we can stare at the other ingredients while we eat, or we'll have to nurse TFJ back to health before proceeding. Will keep you posted as to when the Tamale Throw Down comes to Austin

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I forgot to mention that when I do PP specifically for tamales, I rub it with Adobo rub from Central Market (It's made by Colorado Spice Co). It's the usual SW/Mexican suspects of Cumin, Chile Powder, Mexican Oregano, Paprika, Salt, Pepper and a little cayenne. This does impart some good Mexican flavors on the bark but the most flavoring comes from the sauce in the recipe above. I've done with leftover PP with Dizzy Dust and it was awesome too so don't feel like you have to make a special rub if you don't want to.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry- the spice is actually called Carne Adobado. It's from Colorado spice and I get it at CM in Austin in the bulk spice area.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that recipe....although I doubt I'll ever make them. Growing up in Corpus, we always had tamales for Christmas and we still know plenty of people that will hook us up with tamales when we go down to visit. Recipes generations old....figure they know what they are doing more than I ever will.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that recipe....although I doubt I'll ever make them. Growing up in Corpus, we always had tamales for Christmas and we still know plenty of people that will hook us up with tamales when we go down to visit. Recipes generations old....figure they know what they are doing more than I ever will.
    We do them for Christmas every year too. that's how this all got started. We eat all we can and give away the rest. Sometimes I wonder why we just don't buy them from the 1000 awesome tex mex places in austin but in the end, doing it with PP off the egg with home made masa is awesome. Once or twice a year is enough for me but they are really good. Fun to do for a party when you can get 5-6 people rolling at a time. 
  • Griffin
    Options
    I'm sure you have heard the joke about why Mexicans make tamales for Christmas (not very PC)

Rowlett, Texas

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm sure you have heard the joke about why Mexicans make tamales for Christmas (not very PC)
    I have not..........careful though. Don't want to offend anyone
  • Mickey
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Adobo rub from Central Market . Is this in the spice area or a bulk item? Would you have a picture of it?

• Griffin
    Options
    I have not..........careful though. Don't want to offend anyone
    Don't plan on it. I'll leave that to certain other people.

Rowlett, Texas

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bump
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Book marked.  ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oldie but a goodie :)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tis the season! We started rendering fat for the tamales tonight from a 14 lb belly and an 8lb ham that we are curing for Christmas day. We have bacon and ham in the cure for Christmas day, fat rendering for tamales for Christmas eve. We are doing pulled pork tamales and the chuckie barbacoa for Christmas eve. Yeah Buddy- it's on!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    whooop whoooop!
    I'll load up with pics this year. We weren't nerdy enough last year to take pictures of our food (this was before I joined the forum- I know, I've been here less than a year- weird) 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Me too.  But I love it.  (too much, methinks).  I'm gonna ask the system admin to block this site at work.
    Options
    Awesome, one of my employees brought in a couple dozen tamales last week and I was telling him I would smoke a pork butt next time he wanted to make them.  I'm printing this and showing it to him tomorrow.  Made me miss Texas when the little old ladies would come by on friday's selling tamales, I swear I gained 20 pounds from those and what-a-burger.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    ...actually been waiting all year for this thread to start back up.  Can't wait!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Oh my, I made these last year and they are soooooooo good. I have pulled pork in the freezer and have been thinking about making them again. Can't wait for the pictures of the process. It just might be what's on the menu for the Super Bowl. I am so glad I now have a face to put to the fabulous Jannell when I think about her tamales.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Griffin
    Options

Look at the post count from those two...less than a year (shaking my head). Well, at least they do provide some good infor along with all their post padding. ;)

Just got done eating a chicken and green chile tamale for breakfast. Love me some tamales (or as Mrs. G jokingly says "I think they are pronounced tuh-mAles.)

Rowlett, Texas

• rustypotts
    Options
    Cen-Tex......thanks for this post.  I've always wanted to make tamales.  I grew up eating them in the Mississippi delta.  Most don't know that we have a rich tamale history there.  It was the street food of choice in the early 20th century and remains a local delicacy.  Here is link for anyone interested.  http://www.tamaletrail.com/introduction.shtml

I have always wanted to try to make them.  This is great....thanks.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Wellllllll, I just noticed that the date on the original post was in April. It seemed like a year ago. I made them shortly after you posted. I just used up the anchos on Mickey's rub. Jan 2 is the start go my quest in search of the chilis. I now have a list of ethnic grocery stores and they may also sell them at fresh market. A good plan for my new year.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex......thanks for this post.  I've always wanted to make tamales.  I grew up eating them in the Mississippi delta.  Most don't know that we have a rich tamale history there.  It was the street food of choice in the early 20th century and remains a local delicacy.  Here is link for anyone interested.  http://www.tamaletrail.com/introduction.shtml

really cool. Did not know that. This recipe is awesome and using smoked pulled pork really gives them a cool flavor you don't find in most tamales. I'm smoking this butt then braising in the red Chile sauce to get really good and tender. One note: you don't want a ton of bark like you do on a BBQ butt. If it starts to get crusty, wrap it or finish in a braise to keep it soft. chunks of bark in tamales = no bueno
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Griffin said:

Look at the post count from those two...less than a year (shaking my head). Well, at least they do provide some good infor along with all their post padding. ;)

Just got done eating a chicken and green chile tamale for breakfast. Love me some tamales (or as Mrs. G jokingly says "I think they are pronounced tuh-mAles.)

yeah, I got a little carried away at first. I have settled in a little better now. It has become apparent that not every single post needs my attn or comments :))
  • rustypotts
    Options

really cool. Did not know that. This recipe is awesome and using smoked pulled pork really gives them a cool flavor you don't find in most tamales. I'm smoking this butt then braising in the red Chile sauce to get really good and tender. One note: you don't want a ton of bark like you do on a BBQ butt. If it starts to get crusty, wrap it or finish in a braise to keep it soft. chunks of bark in tamales = no bueno
    I'm not worried about a little bark.......I'll just consider it "peel 'em and eat 'em " !  I love that bark.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I'm not worried about a little bark.......I'll just consider it "peel 'em and eat 'em " !  I love that bark.
    i do too but not in tamales. I like them very smooth and light