Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - Egg won't heat back up

farmers
farmers Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi All - I'm a newbie, have had some great success already and love my egg!  Problem today, of course today a holiday when I have company coming is that I got my egg to 250 degrees - raised the lid, put the ribs on and it's been over 30 mins. and it won't go past 100 degrees.  I've got everything opened up and nada.  Do I need to take everything out and maybe relight charcoal??

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Are you sure you have enough lump? Did you just light your egg? Have you cleaned it recently? A little more info can help narrow your problem down to its root.
  • Brownie
    Chances are that if you had used lump in there, and raked the coals, your air holes are clogged. You probably just need to clean them out.
  • farmers
    farmers Posts: 2
    Thanks Brownie - I did add more charcoal and the holes were clogged - baby is smokin' now!  Happy Fourth!!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

+1

i think Brownie nailed it.  It has happened to me, make sure the air holes are clear.  Good luck getting it going again, it should not be too bad

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Brownie
    Glad  to help. I have gotten in the habit that if I rake my used lump, I will remove it to make sure my holes don't get clogged and then, after putting a new bed of lump in the firebox, adding it above the new lump. Although many others don't. I have also been having very good luck not raking ash and simply relighting with boutique brand lumps.
  • Fbialas
    Fbialas Posts: 6
    I'm having trouble getting mine back to 250 (at290)after foiling ribs. Daisy wheel closed. Bottom vent open a sliver. Is it the foil keeping the temp high? Any ideas?
  • Brownie
    Opening the dome can let out a good amount of heat and will lower your dome reading. If all was going well before foil, and your temp is not dropping, you are most likely fine. resist the urge to chase an exact temp. Give your egg some time to regain what it lost with the dome open.
  • Brownie
    Sorry I miss read. what happened is air rushing to lit coals allowed more coals to light and heat to build. give it some time to stabilize. as long as it doesn't continue to rise you should be fine. Only adjust if it wont adjust itself and  if the temp continues to rise.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Glad  to help. I have gotten in the habit that if I rake my used lump, I will remove it to make sure my holes don't get clogged and then, after putting a new bed of lump in the firebox, adding it above the new lump. Although many others don't. I have also been having very good luck not raking ash and simply relighting with boutique brand lumps.
    +1 here-air-flow is the key to the kingdom.  That's the variable that controls the size of the fire and thus the dome temperature.  Practice good air flow with the upper and lower vents and you are home-free. Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fbialas
    Fbialas Posts: 6
    Thanks brownie! Appreciate the comments and advice.