Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paraffin Cubes

SmoothSmoke
SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've got a bunch of paraffin cubes already.  Is it ok to use inside an egg?  Or will it impart any bad odors that the ceramic may absorb? 

Comments

• BBQBeerman
    BBQBeerman Posts: 62
    I have used them a few times without problems but have switched an electric starter
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    No problem with the paraffin cubes-just make sure the lump is burning on its own before getting serious about shutting the dome and setting the vents.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Use them all the time.  No problems at all.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

Have to say I hate 'em.  Egging is much easier since switching to an industrial grade heat gun.  Just be sure they don't extinguish - they will smolder for a long time and billow up lots of grey, smelly smoke. 

We attended an Eggfest recently and one of the cooks was cooking on such a fire as easily discerned by the great volumes of grey smoke though his cooker had been up to temp for some time.   

The food that came out of his Egg had "that taste" and it wasn't pleasant.