Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank Steak = Tacos?

XLBalco
XLBalco Posts: 607
edited June 2012 in Beef

picked up some flank steak today at costco and thought about using it for tacos tonight.

debating wether to cook it whole and slice it later or maybe slice it up and throw in  in a CI Pan and cook it that way on the egg. 

any thoughts?

Comments

• I slice the steaks into 2-3 smaller pieces then marinate in my fajita marinade for 4 hours or so. Then grill over high heat Then slice across the grain serve on tacos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • XLBalco
    that sounds like a winner
  • My Fajita marinade:

You can get by with EVOO, vinegar, pineapple and teriyaki for starters. The other stuff is really good but you probably don't have them lying around your house (although you should for times just like this) :)

1C-EVOO

1/2C Red Wine Vinegar

1/2 cup Ponzu (can also use Soy or Teriyaki) 

6 oz pineapple juice (that is the size of the small cans at the grocery store)

1-large chipotle pepper (in can in adobo sauce)- could add another one for my tatse but start with 1 if you don't like spicy

1 Tablespoon Achiote Paste

3 cloves Garlic

Little Salt and Pepper 

I blended up for 1 minute in my blender to get everything good and emulsified. 

I rub my steak (or chicken or pork) with EVOO, Salt, Pepper, and Achiote Paste. I let it sit for a while until it's good and red (30 minutes or so) then I pour the marinade over and let sit in fridge overnight or at least 4 hours. 

Achiote paste can be found in the Mexican section of many mainstream stores and in all Mexican food stores.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    I do as Cen-Tex does. Marinate (love Stubbs brand marinade - the beef and chicken flavors both go well with flank). High heat cook and slice at a 45 degree angle across the grain.

Going to try your marinade if I can find some of those ingredients.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• XLBalco

same here .. that is awesome

• Bottled marinades are ok for fajitas. If you find you like, go for it. I used to work in a hell hole....er, mean restaurant here in Austin way back in the day (like 86-87) and we used a pineapple soy recipe. I never forgot that and built all the other stuff around it over 10 years or so. It's about where I like it now.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    I am doing mine also today I use: 

1 1/2 lbs flank steak
    zest and juice of one orange
    zest and 
    juice of two limes
    chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
    cilantro 
    two cloves garlic  
    marinate overnight 

caramelize red peppers and onions 

corn salsa:
    caramelize sweet corn let cool 
    add goat cheese and seeded diced tomatoes 

guacamole two avocados diced
    one quarter white onion diced 
    some adobo seasoning 

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    One of my faves...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    edited July 2012
    To me, flank steak is pretty tough (little or no fat), so I only use it in Chinese stir fry, sliced very thin.  I would do the same if I was to use it in tacos.  I always use ground beef in tacos, but thin sliced flank should work too.

I know I'm cheating, but I just use McCormick Taco Seasoning (in a packet) to put with the ground beef.

This started out as a taco thread, but it looks like it morphed into a fajita thread.  Two entirely different entities. 
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • setdahook
    So Fajitas it is, I think I may need to get a cast iron grate I just do not get the mark I want when searing. 
  • I also suggest throwing the tortillas on the grill for 10-15 seconds per side just to get grill marks. Gives the fajitas a great flavor. Looks good though.
  • And by good, I ment great. Love the corn salsa idea.
  • setdahook
    Thanks I have to try the tortillas on the grill sounds like a great idea that will tie it all together.