Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just back from Bluegrass Eggfest--Bought Himalayan Salt Block

Options
Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
12 inch round by 2 inch thick.  The food the vendor cooked for sampling was awesome.  Scallops, pork loins, chicken breasts and a big assortment of veggies.

I'm going to do my maiden voyage with salt block cooking in about three hours.

Tips, recipes or suggestions wanted.

TIA

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Please let us know how it went and pixs if you can. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Nothing like a new adventure/journey-no experience here but several have.  Try google "salt block cooking on a BGE" or go over to the "other forum" and try their search.  Have seen a few posts about using it-all good.  Trust a great time was had by all-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Options
    Nothing like a new adventure/journey-no experience here but several have.  Try google "salt block cooking on a BGE" or go over to the "other forum" and try their search.  Have seen a few posts about using it-all good.  Trust a great time was had by all-
    I've looked at several sites and youtube videos, so now I ask for the real advice.  Nice event with pretty much the staples being cooked.

The food off of the salt block was really good.  Canola oil for the block and the salt from the block was the only seasoning that he used, although he said if he was cooking for himself he would add freshly cracked pepper. www.saltrox.com is the vendors website.

They thought you were coming @lousubcap because they were selling beer and it was a perfect day for a cold one.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Yup-beer; one of the 3 B's in life-BGE, beer and bourbon-hard to screw that up as long as you know your limits!  But occasionally the limits have to be reconfirmed!  And yes it is a bit warm-but a couple of degrees down from Friday. Enjoy the block-you will become the resident eggspert-not a bad thing!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Bring the block up to temp with the BGE. I usually stop at 450-500 Dome,.
     I use an 8x8x2 on my small.  I used to wash the block after it cooled and after 4-5 cooks decided I was loosing too much salt, so now I Just let it cool and turn it over for the next meal. the bottom was cleaned of the goo and now is the top.
    I marfinated some shrimp in Italian Salad Dressing once and found the liquid sucked salt and the shrimp were ok but salty.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    I was there and bought the Salt Rox too! I could not get over how seasoned the food was just from the block! It sure was a hot one as there all day waiting for my egg to cool Down!
  • Rich_ie
    Options
    Lizzie did you buy a demo? If so what size? 
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Yes, I did get a demo Large. Also a lot of other things too! Thanks to those on this forum that made me want the other items!
  • Rich_ie
    Options
    Very nice. Is it your 1st egg? 
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    1st one, 1st time eating food off an egg and I traveled from Indianapolis to go to fest and buy demo. All my local dealers were sold out last week!
  • Duganboy
    Options
    I was there and bought the Salt Rox too! I could not get over how seasoned the food was just from the block! It sure was a hot one as there all day waiting for my egg to cool Down!
    @LizzieSamps you can confirm the guy was giving a heck of a demo with his block.  He kept stressing to keep it oiled, keep it oiled.

Richard Fl for all the above info. 
  • Rich_ie
    Options
    Lizzie your in for a great ride through BBQ land! Congrats. 
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Yes he said that oiling it is the secret. Each time weather it was cantaloupe, hotdogs, spinach, pork loin, or mushrooms oil went on first! But the food did not fast oily. I can't wait to get home and try it on something. I think it will be a great way to cook on the egg without adding all the salt and calories from the rubs.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sur la table sells a big salt black like 12by8by2 for like$30. I had to cut the corners off to get it to fit in my small. Make sure you bring it up to temp slow but I have had mine over 600 degrees. Have a couple steaks in the sous vide now in bacon onion butter might heat up the block later to finish them.
  • Duganboy
    Options