Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!! Fire Went Out

homebrewtim
homebrewtim Posts: 22
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Brisket went on at 1130 and at 7 AM the smoker and the brisket are 135F.  Is it safe to finish and eat or is it trash?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320

No eggspert here but I would fire it up and keep cooking-you lost the fire sometime between 1130 and 7-I'm guessing the BGE temp was somewhere in the 250*F range when last checked...so it took some time to cool as the meat cooked.  Hopefully the lost fire/salvage meat eggsperts will be along as well. 

The above written, if you aren't comfortable with this course of action-you are the one going to consume it...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fire is back on and meat checked in multiple places...12-135 are the temps I've seen.  It's BBQ for me and my family tonight.  I have a feeling it MIGHT be fine, but would like some confirmation since it never got over 150...I have only cooked a couple briskets and do not have good notes but usually by 7 AM I think its around 160F.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Considering that "7 AM the smoker and the brisket are 135F," I'd guess that the fire hadn't been out to long, and even under the safety guidelines you would be O.K.

FWIW, the safety recommendations have some slack in them. Most pathogens are dying at 126F, albeit slowly. Assuming the surface of the meat was above 140 for some time, its not likely to be re-infected while sitting in a 135 Egg. Also, being cooked to around 200, there's not much chance for any dormant spores to survive.

Your main problem is just extra time sitting in the heat, w. the meat loosing moisture.
  • Right on.  Temp was at 127F at 1:00 AM.  Woke to 135F in the flat.  I'm thinking it easily saw 150F or more.  I'm pressing on and may be just be the test case.
  • Fire is back on and meat checked in multiple places...12-135 are the temps I've seen.  It's BBQ for me and my family tonight.  I have a feeling it MIGHT be fine, but would like some confirmation since it never got over 150...I have only cooked a couple briskets and do not have good notes but usually by 7 AM I think its around 160F.

Dude- cook it and eat it. You are fine
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Right on...that's what I figured.  Now at 12 hours and 159F....smells too damn good like always.

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Please post pixs and cooking times. 
  • homebrewtim
    homebrewtim Posts: 22
    edited July 2012

That was a 12# brisket (I think) and took about 16-hours (I'd need to look at my notes)
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I think all that alum foil is restricting your air flow through the egg.  Probably contributed to the fire going out.
  • I think all that alum foil is restricting your air flow through the egg.  Probably contributed to the fire going out.
    GREAT point...I realized it was a waste on my next smoke and I had no problems.
  • I'd eat it.
    Oh, I did.....and ate a lot of it.