Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermocouple Differences

Options
Z_Eggineer
Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to get K-type thermocouples because I like that technology over themistors.  I am thinking of getting a Thermapen while the sale is still ongoing.  Is there a difference between the thermapen models?  Are they really better than other K-type thermocouple units?  (others are sold by Thermoworks too)

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I think what makes the Thermopen the device of choice for many is a) speed due to the very thin probe tip and b) the convenient package it is in.    They make a Thermapen-like thermocouple on a wire for use with any thermocouple thermometer that is almost as fast, if that suits your needs.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I want to get K-type thermocouples because I like that technology over themistors.  I am thinking of getting a Thermapen while the sale is still ongoing.  Is there a difference between the thermapen models?  Are they really better than other K-type thermocouple units?  (others are sold by Thermoworks too)
    You lost me at thermocouplers X_X
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Options
    Thermoworks sells the same probe that is on the thermapen with a k-type connector. I have it and have tried it side by side with my thermapen and it reads the same temp as my thermapen and is just as fast(within .5 seconds). So if you like the flexibiliy of being able to switch out probes you can have it both ways, have the speed of a thermapen and also be able to swap out to different types of probes.