Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Running A Little Hot

Options
Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone -
I have a 10# bone in pork shoulder one the Egg right now, but the temp keeps creeping up on me and I'm wondering how this might change the cook time. I'm shooting for 250 at the dome, but running about 290. I have the bottom vent open about an inch or less and the top closed all the way. Any advice on how to drop the temp without putting the lump out all the way? If I can't get the temp down how long can I expect my shoulder to take to get done? 

Thanks everyone -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Shut your lower vent down to about the thickness of a quarter and open your dome toa little crack on the "petals" It will take some time but you aren't hurting anything.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Remember the feedback loop for any temperature changes takes a while-don't chase the temp-gradual changes after following LS's advice.  As long as there is air flow there will be fire-question of "how much".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Okay, I choked it down and then headed out to the store. When I got back temp had plummeted down to about 200 (from almost 300). I opened everything all the way up to try and get it back to 250, but no luck so far. I'm worried my fire might be out. If so, what's the best way to get the fire going again and stabilized in a hurry, I don't want my shoulder off the heat for too long. 

Thanks all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Okay-definitely late to this party...since your post was 8 hours ago-I'm sure you either salvaged the fire or pulled everything out and relit by now and are back in the game.  Good luck and always cook to the finish temp-if early FTC (foil, towel and cooler) til ready to pull and eat.  Enjoy the journey-we all learn with every cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.