Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A perfect healthy Texas dinner

Howdy_Doody
Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
There's been quite a few threads lately on healthy BGE cooking.  Frankly, it got me inspired.  So, I thought I'd create a dinner with the pyramid in mind, but yet, palatable to the cultural tastes of native Texans.

I am quite proud of what I came up with, and I might expand it in the future.  After supper, I am thinking about jogging to the refrigerator (exercise) to get a bowl of that wonderful peach ice-cream my wife made from fresh peaches from Fredericksburg.

Dripping Springs, Texas

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Your frijoles are actually a legume, another important food group which includes tofu :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Howdy_Doody
    Your frijoles are actually a legume, another important food group which includes tofu :))
    Wow.  I feel even more healthy.  I think I've been legume deprived for too long.  I think it was a missing block in the pyramid.   L-)
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Little Steven

Think you earned yourself another Cuba Libre but I'm not positive

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Howdy_Doody

Well, gosh.  OK.

This health kick is making me dizzy.

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Think you earned yourself another Cuba Libre but I'm not positive

Well, gosh.  OK.

If you drink enough Cuba Libres, you don't have to worry about the scurvy. I hear it's going around with the non-Cuba Libre crowd.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Howdy_Doody

Well, gosh.  OK.

If you drink enough Cuba Libres, you don't have to worry about the scurvy. I hear it's going around with the non-Cuba Libre crowd.
    Shiver me timbers, Matey.  I'm into preventive medicine too.  My picture should be on the American Health Association Facebook Page.  :))
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Little Steven
    Rum is made from sugar cane which is in the food group Poaceae which includes brown rice and sorghum. No Idea what that is but it's gotta be healthy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Howdy_Doody
    Wow.  I just looked down and I've developed a six pack in my abs.  They're really extruding out a long way.  
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489

Refried beans: one scoop beans, one scoop lard.  I love them!

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Howdy_Doody

Refried beans: one scoop beans, one scoop lard.  I love them!

I usually buy canned refritos, but I'll add a scoopful of manteca while heating it up.  (I say manteca instead of lard because it sounds more healthy).
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I will declare victory and move on-well done!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I am sure you can get government subsidies on that ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    A click of the snifter glass for such a healthy meal =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2012
    Looks great Gary!! One day I'll get there..one day.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    edited June 2012
    lol! That looks brilliant!
    Although, that surely must be a colloquial thing.. Tortilla soup??! Sounds revolting! haha
  • Howdy_Doody
    edited June 2012
    Tortilla soup??! Sounds revolting! haha
    Allitnils.  It really is good.  It's a tomato based soup with chicken, Southwestern spices (cumin, chili powder, etc.), garlic, onion, corn with some toasted or fried tortillas on top to add a little crunchy tidbit.  I cheat and use Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce in it.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Wow.  I just looked down and I've developed a six pack in my abs.   
    I've developed a pony keg...  :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Tortilla soup??! Sounds revolting! haha
    Allitnils.  It really is good.  It's a tomato based soup with chicken, Southwestern spices (cumin, chili powder, etc.), garlic, onion, corn with some toasted or fried tortillas on top to add a little crunchy tidbit.  I cheat and use Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce in it.
    Agreed, tortilla soup is fantastic. I want to make some soup, but my wife is anti soup in warm weather. I have a few recipes I like doing, and now I want try the chicken smoked in it. Chicken and slicks, chicken dumplings and chicken tortilla soup all coming up this winter.
  • Dogboa
    Dogboa Posts: 7
    edited June 2012
    Wow.  I just looked down and I've developed a six pack in my abs.  They're really extruding out a long way.  
    That brings you into the realm of B vitamins, bread and exercise, You got your six paks, 12 paks and cases of B-12. I believe it also comes as B-16. With the ingredients used in making the beer it might as well be called bread in a bottle or liquid bread. You get a great work out and develop a powerful thirst doing those 12 oz curls. Especially eating boiled crawfish or steamed crabs. Both of which add protien to the diet and the crawfish usually is accompanied with vegis.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks great, but I don't think you have enough steak. ;) I would call that a perfectly healthy Tex-Mex dinner. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    edited July 2012
    V:
    I still think its the maid and not you!!! =))
    I need some Video of you working at it or it did just not happen!!!!! [-(

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Howdy_Doody
    V:
    I still think its the maid and not you!!! =))
    I need some Video of you working at it or it did just not happen!!!!! [-(

Felipe
    hahaha.  The only video I have is me making Kung Pao Shrimp.

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Howdy That shrimp looks very tasty!