Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder- Not getting the bark I want

NewEnglandEgger
NewEnglandEgger Posts: 104
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked a number of pork butts over the last few months, and while they have come out nicely - I'm not seeing the very dark, crisp bark that many of you are getting.

Here is my approach:

1. Cover pork in yellow mustard
2. Apply generous amount of Dizzy Dust 
3. Cook indirect at 225 until 195-200 degrees internal

I'm getting some bark..but definitely not that meteorite looking stuff some of you guys get.  Any suggestions?

Followup question - Is removing the fat cap/skin on Picnic a good idea for creating more surface area for edible bark?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

It's the mustard's fault...(just kidding).  Do you FTC (foil, towels and cooler) before pulling for any length of time-if so (and hard not to given the wild variances in cook times) then that will lead to softening of the bark.  To "fix" you can put it back on the BGE for around 20-30 mins to "toughen it up". BTW-you can have meteorite looking bark and it will still end up soft if wrapped in foil.

WRT the fat cap-less fat = more good bark but most (myself included) leave some fat on and cook fat side down-helps as a heat shield and if anything gets stuck to the grid it's the cap.  But I really don't see any appreciable difference in taste-cap up or down-but by taste time it has been a long adult beverage day

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks Lou -

I'd have to say the bark quality is not related to doing an FTC.  I have had similar results when I've pulled shortly after taking the pork off the Egg.

I'm wondering if I just need to use more Dizzy Dust.  I'm completely coating the surface, but it may be possible to get more to stick...
  • lousubcap
    I am a liberal applier of rub (but I make my own as I find using the equivalent quantity of any Dizzy Pig product would break the bank) and was going to suggest that as a possibility.  Of course rub ingredients can contribute to the metoerite appearance of the rub-heavy on sugar generally means a darker finish-or so I have read.  All that said, if you have a good coating (close to 100% of surface area) then I'm not sure more will change anything.  Hopefully Dizzy Pig users will be along to help you out. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I am a liberal applier of rub (but I make my own as I find using the equivalent quantity of any Dizzy Pig product would break the bank) and was going to suggest that as a possibility.  Of course rub ingredients can contribute to the metoerite appearance of the rub-heavy on sugar generally means a darker finish-or so I have read.  All that said, if you have a good coating (close to 100% of surface area) then I'm not sure more will change anything.  Hopefully Dizzy Pig users will be along to help you out. 

I get the meteorite bark with Dizzy. I call it bark in a bottle. I follow the excact same procedure as OP

No idea what could be causing it but I like your FTC reasoning. If it's not that, Centex is stumped

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I like the fat trimmed, good heavy application of rub on top of a binder ( such as mustard).   I put the first rub on, wrap in plastic wrap, place in fridge for a while.   Unwrap - another heavy application of rub, with brown sugar rubbed in.

My theory is that you have to 1) create the bark, 2) keep the bark on.    I think the extra BS on top helps hold it as it carmelizes.

Cookin in Texas
  • Actually, I don't use mustard and I cook at 260. it's the temp and not the mustard. Raise the temp and you'll get the bark

• boatbum
    Actually, I don't use mustard and I cook at 260. it's the temp and not the mustard. Raise the temp and you'll get the bark

Its the RUB ... that is the bark.   Binder holds it, temp cooks it.....

Cookin in Texas
  • Actually, I don't use mustard and I cook at 260. it's the temp and not the mustard. Raise the temp and you'll get the bark

Its the RUB ... that is the bark.   Binder holds it, temp cooks it.....

Correct, but I don't use a binder (as you well know). Mustard is fine and I use it from time to time. It's just that low temp is not forming the bark he wants (binder or no). Use the exact same prcedure as his is now and raise the temp to 250-260 and the bark will form.

• lousubcap
    @ Cen-Tex-glad you survived the "company dime Colorado fire experience-complete with bourbon"-I was about to mention that I thought you used mustard on occasion but you already cleared that up.  Given everything else seems fine it must be the temp as that had not been mentioned prior. 
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    A drip pan with a lot of liquid in could also be a barrier of a solid bark?...
  • @ Cen-Tex-glad you survived the "company dime Colorado fire experience-complete with bourbon"-I was about to mention that I thought you used mustard on occasion but you already cleared that up.  Given everything else seems fine it must be the temp as that had not been mentioned prior. 

I'm at the airpot going home. I have been drunk since Sunday and I'm limping home (drinking at the airport). My wife says she can't wait for me to take her to dinner tonight........yes dear.

• A drip pan with a lot of liquid in could also be a barrier of a solid bark?...

Good thought Jay but not normally the case. I would, however, remove the liquid if the bark does not form at the higher temp. I use a pan full of water and get bark you could hit with a hammer. Sometimes its too much.
    That being said, too much steam will soften the bark so good call out. Definitely Something to consider if the higher temp does not do the trick.
  • lousubcap
    SWMBO always wins-enjoy the dinner and the weekend...
  • SWMBO always wins-enjoy the dinner and the weekend...

Correct. Plus it's been a long week and I prefer she is "amicable" when I get home :D
  • boatbum

I know how you feel Cen-Tex, I spent the nite on the boat last night, then drove into the office this morning....   arrrrrgggghhhh   those Gin and Tonics were good last night...

One note, to the above.   I use extra brown sugar to hold the bark.   If you follow the approach of crisping the bark with higher temps ( totally agree that approach is one of many good approaches )  - be careful about combining higher heat with extra brown sugar.   Sugar will burn easy.   One of those either/or approaches.

Cookin in Texas
  • I know how you feel Cen-Tex, I spent the nite on the boat last night, then drove into the office this morning....   arrrrrgggghhhh   those Gin and Tonics were good last night...

One note, to the above.   I use extra brown sugar to hold the bark.   If you follow the approach of crisping the bark with higher temps ( totally agree that approach is one of many good approaches )  - be careful about combining higher heat with extra brown sugar.   Sugar will burn easy.   One of those either/or approaches.

good call. i don't add any brown sugar. Dizzy has plenty of sugar and that is my go to for butts
  • I know how you feel Cen-Tex, I spent the nite on the boat last night, then drove into the office this morning....   arrrrrgggghhhh   those Gin and Tonics were good last night...

good call. i don't add any brown sugar. Dizzy has plenty of sugar and that is my go to for butts

And I've done the "from boat to work" many more times than I can count. that is a young man's game :). Glad you are enjoying it though.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    FWIW, I usually coat with high sugar rub the night before, then add more before it goes on the egg.
    And FWIW I'm in the "I have work tomorrow, gotta go" camp myself.
    kids don't get hangovers. :(
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!