Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken Tonight (PIcs are Here)

TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Did a spatchcock chicken tonight because the wife is wanting to avoid red meat. I think this is one of the best and easiesst things to do on the egg, and plus just being Mrs. T and I we can eat off a 5LB bird for a few days(Being Still Unemployed I think about this).

I am addicted to buying the full bird with the organs still with it. As you can see I season up the liver and eat it half way during the cook. Most people think livers are nasty but a smoked liver on the egg is redneck caviar to me.

I was tuning in the bow today because we are night pig hunting this Saturday and all my idiot friends think I am crazy to go after one with the bow. That might make me leader of the idiots.

Did some Asparagus also wrapped in foil withe garlic and lemons and the wife loved it.

Topped it off with a Grey Goose and fresh squeezed Grapefruit. (Summer is Here)

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

s.JPG 349.8K
s1.JPG 335.7K
s2.JPG 342.9K
s3.JPG 286.5K
s4.JPG 285.6K

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Love it!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • TUTTLE871
    Love it!
    Thanks Bud, I figure we got a few years till we got your newbie going pig hunting with us. Maybe 4 years (Always start them out young)

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tcufrog
    tcufrog Posts: 5
    This was one of my first cooks on the BGE.  While the chicken turned out nice and juicy my wife and I both thought it needed more seasoning.  I haven't had a chance to try another one yet, but I'm wondering do you season the inside of the bird as well or just the top side?  I didn't go as heavy on the seasoning b/c it had some spices in it so I didn't want it to be too hot for the kids....so i'm sure this was the main problem but I'm have been curious if it was b/c i didn't season the inside as well.
    Large BGE
  • TUTTLE871

I made a few cuts in the skin and stuffed with slivers of garlic. I didnt season the inside but i took some rosemary from the garden and laid it on the grate and then placed a whole garlic also. Spread the bird out on top of that and let her rip. I used Bodacious seasoing because its not that spicy and has a great flavor.

This was a new one for me at turned out very well.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Still need to try one on a mini, getting my woo so may do it soon.
    Seattle, WA
  • TUTTLE871
    I Have been telling my father in law he needs o do one on his mini as well.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    What kind of bow is that?

I started bow hunting last year. Whitetail at this point with bow. Had several walk out on me but can't seem to get in position to shoot without scaring off. I've been deer hunting for 14 years with rifle and shotgun but the bow is totally new for me. Love that I can shoot at my house tho haha.
    Boom
  • TUTTLE871
    What kind of bow is that? I started bow hunting last year. Whitetail at this point with bow. Had several walk out on me but can't seem to get in position to shoot without scaring off. I've been deer hunting for 14 years with rifle and shotgun but the bow is totally new for me. Love that I can shoot at my house tho haha.
    Mathews Switchback. I love the idea of shooting at home. And its alot cheaper than shooting my guns. And it gives me extra money for the Egg.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    What kind of bow is that? I started bow hunting last year. Whitetail at this point with bow. Had several walk out on me but can't seem to get in position to shoot without scaring off. I've been deer hunting for 14 years with rifle and shotgun but the bow is totally new for me. Love that I can shoot at my house tho haha.
    Mathews Switchback. I love the idea of shooting at home. And its alot cheaper than shooting my guns. And it gives me extra money for the Egg.

Ha it is a ton cheaper. I use my climber to get up a tree and shoot targets in the yard. Carry 12 arrows up at a time to eliminate too much up and down.
    Boom
  • Q27
    Q27 Posts: 5
    After I spatchcock the chicken; I put on a pot of stock with all the parts I cut off plus the bag of goodies.. I throw in any left over veggies I might have in the fridge too. Some times I put the chicken on the grill extender over a pan of potatoes. I once put the chicken over a cut in half butternut squash.. after 45 min took the squash off; stuffed it with tomatoes and covered it with cheese and put it back on the egg... mmm