Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Lump

Options
War_Eagle_2244
War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 122
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm still new to the Egg but I just finished my 2nd bag of BGE lump.  I have also been through one bag of Royal Oak.  The 1st bag of BGE lump was excellent.  Had some very large pieces and mostly good, medium sized chunks.  The 2nd bag was awful...worse than the Royal Oak.  Mostly fines and very few medium/large chunks.  It has been very difficult to get a good, even fire going...and takes for ever.  I guess because the tiny pieces don't allow for much air flow.  Anyway, have others experienced this kind of inconsistency with the BGE lump?  I know it was only the 2nd bag but I don't want to pay $25 on a crap shoot!

I'm going to get some Wicked Good tomorrow but the closest place that has it is about a 25-30 minute drive from my house.  Is Wicked Good worth it? TIA   

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Yes, it is worth it.....but if you want a really good charcoal and don't want to drive anywhere, order from Humphrey's charcoal...very good stuff! To deliver to South FL it was $37.99 for a 40 lb bag. Here's the link:

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • homer71
    homer71 Posts: 13
    Options

In the same boat as you.  Have been through 2 bags of BGE and was not impressed for the $$.  There were some medium sized pieced but no large pieces.  I picked up a bag of wicked good but have not used it yet.  I also picked up a bag of full circle lump and so far it seems good.  I have done 2 cooks on the full circle without having to add any and the chunks were large.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have not seen anyone impressed with BGE lump, so don't feel bad.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    45 miles to the nearest WG dealer.  I've been using Cowboy lump that I get from Lowe's.  Been pleased with it and it is $13 for 20 lb bag.
  • Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    Options
    Has anyone used "Best of the West" from Sam's Club.  I bought a bag and so far it seems good.  The pieces are large and my first cook went well. (8 hr. pork butt) The bag says it's Mesquite and made in Mexico.  Anyway, the price was right at $8.95 for a 20# bag.  At that price, I'm thinking of stocking up.

I'm still a pretty new egg'er.  Love the forum.  Thanks.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It has been my experience is you shake (turn top to bottom) the bag a little you can kind of feel/hear the bags with a ton of small pieces.  So far has been working for me...
    Greensboro, NC
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Optiontrader....that is the only brand I have used...burns long, burns hot if needs be....every now and then I'll get the odd rock in a bag....the biggest negative about it is that it generally sparks a lot while lighting it with a torch...I'm willing to live with some sparking I guess for the price....I don't have many options to choose from though either.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options

I'm still new to the Egg but I just finished my 2nd bag of BGE lump.  I have also been through one bag of Royal Oak.  The 1st bag of BGE lump was excellent.  Had some very large pieces and mostly good, medium sized chunks.  The 2nd bag was awful...worse than the Royal Oak.  Mostly fines and very few medium/large chunks.  It has been very difficult to get a good, even fire going...and takes for ever.  I guess because the tiny pieces don't allow for much air flow.  Anyway, have others experienced this kind of inconsistency with the BGE lump?  I know it was only the 2nd bag but I don't want to pay $25 on a crap shoot!

I'm going to get some Wicked Good tomorrow but the closest place that has it is about a 25-30 minute drive from my house.  Is Wicked Good worth it? TIA   

Have used RO since we got our LBGE and have gotten used to the different quality/size of lump. Use a metal can to store new lump and separate according to the cook I'm doing. and WAR DAMN EAGLE !!!

Opelika, Alabama
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My first bag ever with my mini is BGE, lots of little broken pieces. I have a ways to go before its done and I try something new, one of the fallbacks of a mini I guess.
    Seattle, WA
  • DriHeatAZ
    DriHeatAZ Posts: 6
    Options
    I've been purchasing El Diablo lump from Costco (40 lbs - $11.49 - yep $.28/lb!) there are some darned large pieces in it some smalls, but no real fines. Jusr cruise down the outdoor isle when you're there picking up those cheap pork butts! Burns hot and clean. The local supermarket carries 7 lb bags and the pieces are smaller, better sized for those with SBGE and MiniBGE. MBGE just be aware there will be some pieces that are very large for you too. Just my 2 cents.

Sharon
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited June 2012
    Options
    They all have variability.  I think a lot of it has to do with how roughly the bags have been handled.  I like BGE, but it is too pricy.  I mainly use RO.  Best of the West works well, and lights really easily, but burns down more than RO.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Wolfpack has some great advice, turn the bag over and listen for the small ones to "plinko" through the bag. Unfortunately, doesn't work for the concrete and rocks. Below is a piece of concrete and a rock from a bag of RO, star grill blue bag. Everything else in the bag was great, non too small and non too big. 
    (Like the Naked Whiz - those are one inch squares for reference)

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    The Big Green Egg branded lump *is* Royal Oak. So is Kroger's store brand. I've found variations within the same pallet, but for the most part, I am happy with the burn rate, ease of lighting, and light flavor of smoke it provides.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    BGE lump hasn't been bad for me. Been through about 6 bags or so. Have 2 bags of Wicked Good I need to try. Hope this weekend on some Butts. I can't say anything bad about BGE though. Of course, my bags were off the same pallet. Maybe a good batch?
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

I used 1 bag of BGE, too pricy - all I use now is RO.  Have 3 pails and i sort small, med, and large.  Sometimes there isn't many large pieces but I work it out.  Usually have a few bags going at once.  I still have a regular charcoal bbq so if I get too much small I use it in there. (not as efficent as my LGE but still creates better tasting food than a gas bbq).

• Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    Options
    Optiontrader....that is the only brand I have used...burns long, burns hot if needs be....every now and then I'll get the odd rock in a bag....the biggest negative about it is that it generally sparks a lot while lighting it with a torch...I'm willing to live with some sparking I guess for the price....I don't have many options to choose from though either.
    Thanks for the comeback.  What I've used so far was great, but I didn't know how it was long term.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    for the price, if your local ace can get it, wicked good is 100% better. In my opinion the BGE charcoal is the same if not worse than royal oak, and it's more expensive. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Has anyone used "Best of the West" from Sam's Club.  I bought a bag and so far it seems good.  The pieces are large and my first cook went well. (8 hr. pork butt) The bag says it's Mesquite and made in Mexico.  Anyway, the price was right at $8.95 for a 20# bag.  At that price, I'm thinking of stocking up.

I'm still a pretty new egg'er.  Love the forum.  Thanks.
    I buy BOTW at $15 for a 40lb bag, and for the price I have no issues with it. Occassionally it sparks, but I can live with it.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Have any of you tried ONO charcoal (from Hawaii) or Groveland Orange Tree Lump? BBQ Guys sells both of these as well as Ozark Oak. Their shipping is a flat $6.95 for the entire order. 

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    If you decide to try to get Wicked Good from Ace Hardware , check with the store before ordering on line. I ordered a bag and had it delivered to the local store ( Free Shipping)While at the store to pick it up I asked if they could order it, they checked, if they order it ,it is a dollar a bag cheaper than on line. May not always be the case , but you might want to check !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I ordered 2 bags from my local Ace and it was $19.99/ bag. 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    plus if you have coupons you can use the 20% off ones on it like i did and pay around 16 a bag after tax