Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing the Egg outside

Options
JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picking up my new XL tomorrow, and one thing I'm concerned about is storage and exposure to weather conditions.

Unfortunately I don't have a covered patio at this time, so the Egg would remain outside. I live in Dallas, where we don't get much rain, but we do see awful high heat. Occasionally we see hail, and in the winter we see some low temps as well.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? I'm concerned with fading, rust, hail, freeze, ect. I plan on getting the BGE cover, but is it enough? It's such a large investment, I want to protect it properly. I could always keep it in the garage, but that would be a bit of a pain for cooks.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    My oldest egg is 14 years. Never covered, pressure washed the exterior a few times and it's outside through Canadian winters. Looks as good as the two year old beside it. Maybe better.
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Mine has been unprotected in the Canadian elements for over a year. Rain snow hail abominable snow creatures and heat. Although we do not get the heat someone in Dallas would I have had the egg over 800 degrees. So. I imagine 108 from the sun would be fine. Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't bother with a cover.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    Live in Chicago and Egg is exposed to all types of weather.  I do have a cover, but that is more for the table than the egg.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Not to worry. Like the previous posters, I'm north of you. But, the current temp is 97F and heading for 105. Not a problem. My Eggs have been under some good sized hail, and certainly drastic ice storms, and sub-zero temps. Also, not a problem. No fading. They just need a nice soap and water bath every year.

Some of the bolts and nuts are showing some rust. I suppose in a few years I may need to replace them, or at least douse them w. some oil.

During the years I've been reading the forum, I don't believe any one has had a problem with sun and heat. There have been some questions about being out in a hurricane, but no one has ever reported a problem.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I have a cover that I use in the winter months, we get rain, and some snow. I don't always use the cover, slip it on if we are going away for a bit. As others have said, it doesn't really need it, I guess it is just peace of mind. :\">
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    My oldest egg is 14 years. Never covered, pressure washed the exterior a few times and it's outside through Canadian winters. Looks as good as the two year old beside it. Maybe better.
    +1  I have a 15 year old egg that has never been covered and looks great.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    I keep my LBGE outside on an uncovered deck with a large cover over the egg & table.  I had to replace the daisy wheel once (it corroded from the salt air) but other than that, she's been fine.  Shoot, she even survived a couple of hurricanes.  :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Good to hear guys, thanks for the help!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I live in Austin and I had it for 4 years in Wisconsin as well. I have never used a cover and I have never had it under a covered patio. It's still in perfect shape (although I have rebuilt my table 3 times)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    I've had my egg for 4 years.  I bought a nice ($20) Veranda (brand) cover for a kettle grill/smoker.  Fits excellent and is very sturdy material.  The egg and the cover look as good as they did when I unpacked them.  I use it for a little extra protection from the elements plus it makes it a lot easier to ready the egg after a snow storm.  I just pull the cover off and she's all cleaned off. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The covers are really to protect the table (if you have one) and/or the metal hardware/stand and wood handle.  Glazed ceramic is about as weather resistant as it gets.