Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How HOT ?! How LONG ?! and Wha' fo' ?

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've had the BGE for six months now and mostly do low temp pork (200 - 300F dome), medium temp chicken (250F - 400F dome), and medium temp pizza (~ 400F dome). A couple of times I've done burgers at 500F dome. A couple of times have cleaned the BGE at 550F - 600F dome. 

The most I've ever run my BGE up to is about 700F dome. It was only for five-ten minutes each time. Just to see what it was like. (ok, so a couple times those were 'sleeping at the wheel'). 

How hot have you gotten your Egg up to, for how long, and what for? 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Just pm Mickey.

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have passed the 1000 on my tel try probe in my large so 100-1200 maybe but never very long. Have held 750 for an hour when I was experimenting with pizza.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Today I seared some strip steaks for lunch. Had the temperature at 700 for maybe 10 minutes before putting the steaks on for another 3 or 4 mins. Looks like I have at least 3/4 firebox of lump left.

Couple of days ago, I was prepping to bake some bread. Had the platesetter in, w. a pizza stone on top. Expected at least a 25 min pre-heat to get the stone up to 450. I do some hobby woodcarving, and started to mess w. a new knife. Sometime later, I remembered the Egg, and found the dome near 800, and the stone, according to an IR beam thermometer, 640. All but shut the vents, and 25 min later had a dome of 450. After baking the bread (the bottom burnt) for about 20 min, and shutting down, there was still a little less than half the lump.

The quality of the lump has a lot of effect. I did a cleansing burn with about a half firebox of coconut shell lump briquettes. Shut it down when I found the thermometer dial all they way around to 150. Gasket fused. When I finally got it open, there was still a handful of briquettes.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Wraped a 1000 temp gadge. Started egg and walked off for way to long.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    800 & over for an hour during a cleaning. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Whatever 300F is the second time around on a TelTru that ends the gauge at 750F.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    1200 dome, pizza, 53 second cook. i think you would need a fan to get it hotter, thats as high as i could get it with the vents
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    i've held 600+ for over an hour on a pizza marathon. Easily hit 700-800, but after that the tel-tru really isn't calibrated to give an accurate reading and most likely you'll need to recalibrate it if you ever subject it to actual 1000 degree heat
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

Regularly get over 1000.  A friend's grate thermometer usually says ~1100.  That burns up lump REAL fast though.  We don't really need over 800.  I would bet money we could get even hotter with Hi-Q and heat gun.

Can usually stay at 500 with 1/3 full of lump for and hour or two.

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Z - Whiskey tango foxtrot do you cook for an hour or two at 500? Or regularly over 1000? Are you running blacksmith stuff through your Egg? Wow, I'm missing half of what you can do with your Egg!
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

Although I have considered it.... no, I do not do any blacksmithing.  I like my temperatures to be extreme (low or high)  We do lots of low and slows but also quite a few nuclear reverse-sears.

Last night, gf was late to dinner, so I just held the temp high for naan (also because I forgot about it).  One of the reasons I didn't get a pellet grill/smoker was high temperature limitations.