Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Legs & Ribs

tnbarbq
tnbarbq Posts: 248
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Ribs and turkey legs from yesterday.  No leftovers...as usual.  Cooked everything at 250 for about 5 hours using hickory chunks and RO lump.  Wrapped the legs for the last hour.

Scooter 
Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Have found the turkey legs are very good in a pot of beans as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    were the turkey legs done prior to them being wrapped? They're on my to do list, but I would have guessed 2 hrs at 250* would have been adequate.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tnbarbq
    were the turkey legs done prior to them being wrapped? They're on my to do list, but I would have guessed 2 hrs at 250* would have been adequate.
    I have found it's hard to over-cook turkey legs.  The longer I cook them, those long tendons render out more.  I wrapped them for the last hour because the ribs were not ready yet.  I never did check the temp of the legs.  
    Scooter 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

I like turkey legs. 400 direct and raised about an hour and a quarter. Rubbed with Butt Rub or Coffee Rub and pecan/cherry chips ( not a lot).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I had a smoke turkey drumstick at the fair. I enjoyed it, but...... I know I can do it better. :)
    Waiting to see turkey parts on sale.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

^^^ finding the legs can be hit or miss and finding them on
    sale is even tougher.  I first had them at a renaissance festival
    and enjoy doing them on the BBQ.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tnbarbq
    Walmart always has them here.
    Scooter