Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best set up for st. louis style ribs

Options
notaclownquestion
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE...what is the best set up for 3 racks of st. louis style ribs? Do I need a grill rack extender?

Comments

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    I did St. Lous style ribs for the first time last weekend.  I could fit two of them flat on the grate and then I rolled the third rack up into a spiral, held together by a toothpick.  All 3 racks turned out great and there was no difference between the ones I had layed flat vs. the one rolled up.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options

I would say there are 3 ways to fit St. Louis ribs on a large without huge investment:

1. use a rib rack (got mine at wally world for $4ish)

2. cut one rack in half so that you have 2 halfs on outside and 2 wholes on inside

3. buy another 18" cooking grid and some plain clay bricks wrapped in aluminum foil.  I will go original grid, 2-3 "fire" bricks, then sent 2nd grid on top.  That is a $15 way to get 2-level cooking

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

I use a rib rack everytime I do more than two racks on the LBGE.  They cook just like laying them flat.  I usually turn them over about mid cook.