Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I keep finding Rocks in my Royal Oak (red bag)

Options
mwraulst
mwraulst Posts: 131
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
ok, so i dumb the charcoal out before doing long smokes and i swear i never see rocks. I put the charcoal in the grill and sure enough after my session there are rocks in the egg. Why does Royal Oak (red bag) from wally world have rocks in the lump?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I have had good luck with RO from Wally world. I think it's just hit or miss.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    On occasion I have also found a rock or two but nothing major.  I'll take a rock over plywood anyday.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    You're not alone, I find rocks in all brands I try.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Related topic:  There have been a couple of threads saying that Walmarts don't have RO anymore and wondering if they dropped the brand.  I was concerned also because my Walmart hadn't had any since Thanksgiving.

Well, today, they had a fresh shipment.  I bought 8 bags.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i weighed a 20 pound bag of cowboy and found it was 22 pounds.  so i don't think anyone is getting ripped off by rocks in their charcoal.  i say this only because one guy had the idea that when the rocks hit 20 pounds, he'd demand a free bag of lump.  ignoring of course what the cost of his lump would be if the supplier were going to go thru and remove every rock by hand to insure rock-free bags.

the rocks can be in wood, on the ground (picked up when the charocal is loaded and handled by equipment), might even be something that falls of from the retort itself (if it's concrete), or from storage areas bounded by concrete walls.  i do know that some pieces i've gotten were refractory ceramic, probably from the retort where they fire the charcoal.

it's a non-issue, unless you get a five pound rock, maybe. 

if you ever watch the dirty jobs episode where charcoal is made, you'll see it isn't exactly a high-tech process.  and that's why charcoal doesn't cost even more than it already does.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Noticed more rock in RO lately. #10 blue bag "Star Grill" product of USA bought at Wally World in New Westminster BC had two nasties, the large one is concrete, the other a rock. Didn't weigh it before I opened it, but hope it was at least #12 to make up for this.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Last two 20-pound bags of charcoal i weighed were 22 and 25 pounds

You're going to get rocks. It happens. Never had one that big, but this stuff is jet black and filthy. I'd imagine it's not really that easy to spot a rock as it comes down the chute into the bag.

I shudder to think what this stuff would cost if we required them to sort all the rocks from the lump. JMO
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Granite I haven't been egging as long as some one here. But I've prolly been through about 15 bags of RO and it's been nothing but perfect. I've found one piece of long "raw" bark but I usually find nice big enough pieces.

XLBGE 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

whether you find a couple of rocks or you dont find anything- i agree with stike, it's a non issue.

when it turns into a couple of pounds worth, then maybe i would shake my head.

• Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42
    Options
    No RO in the Wal-marts in Northern CT
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    i've gotten rocks in bags of wicked good too, honestly just part of the whole process and something you've gotta deal with. If you think kingsford blue bag doesn't have rocks in it, they're just ground up and put into the briquettes  themselves.
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Options
    @ Village Idiot - Still getting RO at our Wal-Mart in Nebraska. 6.6lbs bags for $6.88
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Rocks won't mess with smoke/heat too much.  Much more worried about insulation, bits of treated woods, etc
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I've never found rocks in Royal Oak red bag....  Now I use to find about a LB of rocks in every bag of the brown bag Cowboy coal....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    Options
    After learning that Royal Oal makes Kroger brand lump, I started getting that instead of RO at Wally World. For me, the Kroger brand is cheaper, and I'm consistently seeing larger chunks.
  • majorpain
    majorpain Posts: 7
    Options
    I have found rocks in my Cowboy brand before thats sold at Ace Hardware.  I then switched to The Good One and have had nothing but success.  I just opened my third bag and have not found a rock or other debris yet.  I can also control the temp. a lot better with The Good One.  Check out this page.  It gives reviews on a lot of your lump charcoal.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    picked up six bags of RO at walmart 6.47 a bag for 8.8# opened a bag nice size pieces and no rocks also got frontier 34#bag at BJ's 19.99 also has nice size pieces think i'll be using them for my daily cooks and stick with WG for my long cooks 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

Rocks?

I just about always find 1 or 2 in RO.  I don't mind - I haven't found any plywood yet so everythings good here

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Noticed more rock in RO lately. #10 blue bag "Star Grill" product of USA bought at Wally World in New Westminster BC had two nasties, the large one is concrete, the other a rock. Didn't weigh it before I opened it, but hope it was at least #12 to make up for this.

I have never found anything that big in any lump I've used. I have found a few small (under a 1/2 inch) ones in almost every kind I've used. 
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    The bags at wall mart have gotten so small they wont hold rocks anymore only pebbles.
    :))
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    LOL @ Fairchase