Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid and Base not sealing properly

Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

My LBGE lid is not sitting snuggly on the right side (as I look at it of the base).  There is probably an 1/8 of an inch gap around the whole right side.  The left side is tight. Tested by putting a dollar bill in both sides.  Left very snug and is hard to pull the dollar.  Right side let's the dollar slide right thru without touching.

Very old egg, probably 15 years old.  Can this be adjusted and if so, how?

TIA

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Try to adjust the bands. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    edited June 2012

Don't know if the following will help but it does contain lots of alignment options-you may also want to check your hinge bolts and see if some have loosened causing the shift.  Hard to believe it would just "shift on its own"-but stranger things have happened.

·         Following is a good link for explanation about addressing all types of alignment issues with the Kamado/BGE; and there are several more via Google-may help you out- Good luck-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy

Don't know if the following will help but it does contain lots of alignment options-you may also want to check your hinge bolts and see if some have loosened causing the shift.  Hard to believe it would just "shift on its own"-but stranger things have happened.

·         Following is a good link for explanation about addressing all types of alignment issues with the Kamado/BGE; and there are several more via Google-may help you out- Good luck-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg 

@lousubcap my lid had gotten to where it didn't want to stay up, so I tightened all the nuts and bolts.  Maybe I did something to it.  I'm the type of guy who needs help turning on the windshield wipers, so I bet that was it.
  • lousubcap
    @ Duganboy-with your many, many years of run-time with the BGE you must have seen more than most of us have any clue about "waiting around the corner" with these things.  Good luck but if you were wrenching on the hinge bolts etc that is the likely culprit.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    @ Duganboy-with your many, many years of run-time with the BGE you must have seen more than most of us have any clue about "waiting around the corner" with these things.  Good luck but if you were wrenching on the hinge bolts etc that is the likely culprit.
    Got another BGE owner here who put on new bands about four years ago for me.  Of course, he is in Florida on vacation.  I should have known better than to pick up a wrench.  These things work best when I call somebody and sit and drink a cold one and watch.
  • lousubcap
    Good approach if available-no gastket replacements along the way?? That has more downside potential than most things with the BGE.  Back to the issue-you may want to reloosen your hinge bolts and then retighten starting with the right side to see if that moves the lid to get rid of the gap.  About all I can offer-I'm sure you will get it straightened out soon enough!
  • Duganboy

@lousubcap now see that just shows you how stupid I am.  YES, gasket was replaced with a Rutland and that is about the time I noticed this.  You don't notice it on hot direct cooks, just the low and slow.

Next suggestion?

• lousubcap
    People who replace with Rutland say to install on only one side due to thickness.  Don't know if that's where you are or not-but given this came along with the gasket replacement-did you remove the dome to do the replacement-if so then I would loosen the band bolts and try adjusting the bands.  Beyond that and messing with the hinge bolts-you may give google a try.  There are several gasket adjustment videos out there (as a matter of fact-check out this site http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ and the product support tab.  Fred has quite a library of helpful hints.) 'bout all I can offer...good luck-you will get it.