Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cooking ribs on my egg

JJH2329
JJH2329 Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone, I am cooking ribs for the first time this weekend. I figured I would keep the dome temp at 250-275 and cook 4.5 - 5 hours. I was going to use a dry rub on them and coat them with BBQ sauce every 30 minutes or so. Does my time estimate seem accurate and any tips on cooking them? Should I baste with BBQ or spray with apple cider vinegar? What would you suggest?

Thanks,
JJ

Comments

• TexAg87
    TexAg87 Posts: 22
    I'll be watching this thread, JJ. Haven't smoked any yet, but my wife is begging for ribs.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    275 lid closed for 3.5-4hrs, baste with sauce last 30 mins of cooking.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Depending on the type of ribs, you will need 5 to 6 hours at 250. "baby backs" usually take 5 hours, trimmed spares closer to 6.

Spray or mop the ribs as you like. It will build more flavor, but also increase the cooking time. Maybe 10 minutes for each mopping.

As above, don't add sauce till the end. Most sauce has lots of sugar, and overcooked burnt sugar is not good at all. Its not unusual to sauce only right before serving, with a pre-warmed sauce.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If you spray the ribs, I suggest you wait until at least an hour or an hour and a half into the cook.  This will let the rub set up.  I've sprayed them too early before and actually washed some of the rub off.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Cooked first baby backs Saturday,250 for 4.5 hrs , sauced 2 racks left third dry for additional 1/2 hr., turned out awesome.Oh,platesetter legs up for indirect cook.Sorry no pics , didn't last long enough.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

For Baby backs 4.5 to 5 hours seems ok at that temp.     After the first 1.5 hours spritz with apple juice every 45 minutes to an hour.  Hold sauce until the last 20 minutes or so.     I would not sauce every 30 minutes.

Look up Car Wash Mike's method for cooking ribs.    

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • JJH2329
    JJH2329 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I will let you know how these turn out.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    honestly spritzing with apple juice, 9 times out of 10 does absolutely nothing for the ribs besides extending the cook time and increasing the chance for off flavors. Apple juice has tons of sugar in it and will burn at extended cooking times.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'm a fan of dry rubbing the ribs and not saucing them at all.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• majorpain
    majorpain Posts: 7
    I have done ribs a few times and this has never failed me.  First off make sure you remove the membrane on the back of the ribs.  A dry paper towel will help you grip this to remove it and then add your favorite dry rub liberally.  Set your EGG up for indirect heat at 250 degrees and smoke for 3 hours meat side down unless you have a vertical rack.  I then pull off the ribs and place them in heavy duty foil and pour a couple tbsp of apple (or pineapple) juice on them.  Then back on the grill for almost two hours. I recommend you try one rib at this point to see you want to add BBQ sauce.  If you choose to then open the foil and brush some on both side and just leave the foil open and go for about another 20 min.  Also consider the wood your going to use.  I like to add a couple chunks of hickory and apple wood.  Enjoy!
  • GmaEgger
    GmaEgger Posts: 13
    Look on you tube under green egg ribs Uncle Phil.  I've tried several ways and this is the best by far.