Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Stir-fry Experience

khristyjeff
khristyjeff Posts: 163
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
After studying this forum about Woks and stir-fry for months, finally purchased a wok from The Wok Store, and wok ring from The Ceramic Grill Store for my Medium Egg.  Seasoned the wok twice and think I did something wrong because it came out spotted.  Anyone else have this happen?  Don't think it made a difference as the food tasted great.  
I used a recipe for Chicken Stir-fry from AllRecipes.com that was super easy for my first try.  Reviews were good but many said there was no sauce.  It was just liquid.  I think their problem was they couldn't get the temp. high enough but of course on the egg, high temp was no problem.  Thanks for all your help on this forum.  I very much appreciate it.    

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2012
    Looks great!!  My wife would appreciate your Fiestaware! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • khristyjeff
    More info.  I cooked the chicken for about 2 minutes (it was totally browned and almost cooked through, I think);  then the vegetables (carrots, broccoli, onion) for about 3 minutes;  then all back in for another 2 minutes with a cup of water and bouillon.  Chicken was tender and juicy, vegetables were firm but you could still cut them with a fork.  The fire temp. was hard to determine.  Lid closed only showed 450, but flames were shooting out the top, so I think the wok temp was maybe 6-700 degrees. What fun it is to discover other ways to make good, healthy food on the BGE.
    My wife and I are on a diet, therefore the tiny portion (she did get seconds, though). 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Try some corn starch and water to make the sauce thicker.

Her are a few sauce ideas:
     Sauce, Lemon, Chicken or Shrimp

INGREDIENTS:  
    3 Tbs    Lemon
    Juice

3 Tbs    Sugar, White  
    1 Tsp    Sesame
    Oil

1/3-1/4 Cup    Cornstarch Paste  

Chicken Broth  
    1-2 Drops    Yellow Food Coloring for color (Optional)  

Larger Portion:  
    1 Cup    Lemon Juice  
    1 Cup    Sugar, White  
    1/4 Cup    Sesame Oil  

Cornstarch Paste  

Chicken Broth  
    2-3 Drops    Yellow Food Coloring for color (Optional)  

Procedure:
    1 Mix all in hot wok and bring to a soft boil.
    Cool.

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source

Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe,
    1994/05/25

Sauce, Kung Pao, Chinese, Oriental, Spicy

INGREDIENTS:  
    1 Tbs    Oyster Sauce  
    1 Tbs    Sugar  
    1 Tsp    Salt  

1 Tbs    Mushroom Soy  
    1 Tbs    Sesame Oil  
    1/2 Tsp    Hot Chili Oil  

Peanuts to taste  

Procedure:
    1 Mix in wok with corn starch liquid to thicken.

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source

Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe,
    1994/05/25

• khristyjeff
    Thanks for the sauce recipes, Richard.  Will definitely try them out.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Looks great, especially for a first run.

For me, fire control during woking can get a little crazy sometimes.  I usually get it stable at around 400f closed, then while stir frying with the lid open, I just cut the bottom vent all the way down or barely open.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • khristyjeff
    Hi, Nibble, my family asked if I could do this for a family gathering.  I would be interested if any of you have suggestions for doing "one batch of this, and one batch of that, etc.".  Does the fire last?  How would you set the vents?  I could guess, but I really appreciate the sharing of all your knowledge.  Your website is great!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2012
    One batch of this, one of that:
    . If you are referring to one dish with many items, fill the wok no more than 1/3-1/2 way up sides.  too much and it will sap the heat and not sear.do some of the veggies, place in a separate bowl, do some more place in bowl,  do the meat place in bowl do the sauce and toss all back into wok stir to mix and serve.

Some like to do the sauce  with everything in the wok.  This is ok IMHO if you already have the sauce made or using pre-packaged.

You do not want to over cook the food, just to get the sauce hot.   If you are doing 2 different dishes, cover the bowl of the first dish with foil and proceed.
     If you are doing a longer meal, fill the BGE up to the firebox, get a good hot fire 450-500 dome ok and when you start to cook, open the bottom a little.  You should have enough fuel to cook 3-4 meals easily.

Couple ideas:
    Fried Rice:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1160288&catid=1

Mei fun:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1174835&catid=1
    Lets Wok & Woll!