Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making your own smoker chips from lumber?

Vitaman
Vitaman Posts: 46
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi all-Thanks for all the information on this forum.  I've been lurking for months and my new BGE is set to arrive this Friday.  I've found the answers to many of my questions by searching this forum, but here's one I can't seem to find.

Can I make my own smoker chips from lumber I purchase at Woodcraft (I think they call it rough stock)?  The lumber I get is about one inch thick by 6 inches wide by 5 feet long.  Can I just chop off some pieces with my miter saw and throw it in with my lump?  If I can, what sizes do you recommend?

I do a little woodworking with my kids and have some cherry, hickory and oak in my garage, plus I go there pretty often so it would be easy to replenish.  It's just plain wood (no stain or finish on it)  The guy who owns the shop said people do it all the time but I wanted to check with you all first.

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments