Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got wood

moose28
moose28 Posts: 61
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Whats your favorite wood to smoke with. I don't mean chip vs chunk I mean maple, hickory, cherry, oak Ect. FIL is a hobbiest and can supply me with all the wood I want. Ihave tried hickory, mesquite, cherry, apple maple. I'm interested in what others have tried and like.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    i go thru more cherry than anything and i mix it with everything. you mentioned hickory, but hickory bark is even better and i just go pick some when i need it. if your looking for something different, guava wood is really mild and a great smoking wood, chicken turkey, fish, ribs etc. grapevine is also good if you cook lamb
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2012
    Got tooo D@##%^ much wood. 
    Creeps up on you over 10 years when you trade around the country.
     I like fruit woods for poultry, use the twigs from my rosemary bushes for beef and lamb.  When doing fish will use apple usually.  Too many choices.  cherry gives a nice color to poultry. Coffee chips for beef. And the list goes on.
    http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/8.html

• moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    That's a hell of a wood selection. Doing a chicken today with the cherry. The coffee beef thing sounds interesting.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Wow Richard that's a lot of chunks!! 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'd have to say the only wood I don't like much is mesquite. I've also didn't much like tulip tree (aka yellow poplar). It seemed that the smoke taste was heavy but dull tasting. Few spicey notes.

The most unusual I've used was pimento, which gave an almost perfume like smell.

I like white oak, or other hard oaks best for most BBQ.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    I like the Jack Daniel's Oak for beef roasts-or oak if no JD-hickory is a close second.  Cherry for pork. Pecan for poultry.  Alder or cherry for fish.  Apple is also good with pork or poultry.  Try it all and then go from there-BTW-I evolved to the BGE from another life where I accumulated lots of smoke wood thus the variety.  If starting out I would go with oak, cherry and pecan.  But remember, that's an opinion and we all know what those are worth...:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Forgot to mention, Cedar or Alder planks for salmon and some other fish.