Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling tips for my Large BGE??

Bullhalsey
Bullhalsey Posts: 108
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I am going on a week long vacation to the gulf coast, have a house rented, and I am bound and determined to take my Large BGE with me, with a full menu in mind for the week.(10 of us going).
I have a truck, and I have some general ideas for safety in transporting, but I was wondering if any of you guys have done this, and if you have any tips for me?
This will be my 1st attempt at moving it.  Thanks guys.

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    edited June 2012
    I would take the rings out and rap and then rap again maybe make the kids hug it till we got there. ;D
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2012
    Got back last night 1600 miles rt Texas to Seaside Fl. Took dome off and rapped in rugs. Set it on a rubber mat . Left base in nest, pulled out insides and inserted cardboard and replaced guts. Tied off and worked fine. So much easer to load w/o guts and dome. DO pack extra screw should it bust screwing on or off.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Forgot to say that mine has a handler, but will work reg as well
    Ready to assemble
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    See if your dealer has a box from a recent shipment he'd let you have.  Otherwise I'm thinking lots of bubble wrap, strap it down and pray.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Mickey
    Where are you going?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    corregated cardboard underneath and between dome and base is all i do, i reset the dome to fit flat on the cardboard, having the hinge and handle on the egg makes it easier to tie it down.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Fishlessmen with the Handler I leave all attached to base and easy to tie down. If I had taken a Tundra I would have left the dome on because of the extra height of the truck.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Fishlessmen with the Handler I leave all attached to base and easy to tie down. If I had taken a Tundra I would have left the dome on because of the extra height of the truck.
    i made my own handler years ago, works good, easy to mount on my 4wheeler, in my closed trailer, back of the truck, makes it easy for two to lift and walk with it, for some reason my old post is missing now or i would post it, heres the handler

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @ Bullhalsey-(any Navy connections??)-but back to the question-I would look at this as an opportunity to figure out it's too hard to transport (taking into consideration all the good advice offered) and convince the SWMBO that you just need to buy one at the Gulf coast destination.  Then use the above knowledge to get it back home-only a one-way worry :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Navy connection: I am named after Admiral William Bull Halsey, my grandfather's admiral in WWII....
    I appreciate the input guys, I'm definitely taking it, going to Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast for a week, looking forward to cooking for everyone down there...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Navy connection: I am named after Admiral William Bull Halsey, my grandfather's admiral in WWII....

I cannot properly express my sincere appreciation for your grandfather's service.  He was a real difference-maker during WWII. I'm sure you are justifiably proud of his achievements and the contributions he made to the successful end of WWII.  From one who served proudly in the USN for over 25 years-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    You are alot braver then me!!!  We were going camping on an extended leave and the ole lady asked if we could take ours!!! noooooooo way, so she started talking about buying a small fer traveling!  There is a method to my madness...My table has enough room to cut another hole in it fer a small!!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    We are trying to figure out vacation plans and it was brought up about bringing the XL....:)). Told the wife about a mini and sage said, "I know I am going to regret this but the mini is too small, maybe a small". She saw the mini next to the small at Hearth's Patio last weekend (I haven't even seen them yet). Local dealer should have some smalls in this week but looks like I have the go ahead :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • TexAg87
    TexAg87 Posts: 22
    Anyone who has taken an XL on the road? I've been brainstorming about how to transport it safely in the van. (By safely, I mean that neither the egg nor my back are damaged...) I have some ideas, but the best one might be to buy the Lg and take it. Need to cook for 11 people for the week, so a small or mini isn't going to cut it.
  • eddiepro
    eddiepro Posts: 42
    A buddy of mine has. Strap down everything and wrap the innards before travel. No problems so far...