Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Temps

Options
SL55
SL55 Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is it normal for the temp of a pork butt to drop while cooking? For example; I put on two shoulders last night at 9pm (egg temp was 225-230). I checked the cook every few hours and everything was fine as usual. At 930 this morning, the temp was 174. 90 minutes later the temp is 171. The fire has not gone out and has stayed consistent through the use of my guru. So... Do the temps fluxuate when the meat has hit a plateau?

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The meat temp was 174/171? If so, yes, the temp moves up and down and all around during the plateau. You're doing fine.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Nothing to worry about SL.  They don't always drop in temp, but you are in the stall and a slight drop is very much a possibility.  As long as you BGE temp is where you want it then you will be fine.  Those butts have a mind of their own.
  • mjontrack
    mjontrack Posts: 18
    Options

Glad to hear this. Mine stalled at 159 and know its at 167.   May take awhile to get to 195-200.  The BGE is staying constant between 226 and 228. We have a BBQ Guru so that is giving me peace of mind.   Late lunch it is, (or early dinner)

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Bump the guru up to 250 or even 275, if you want to eat a little faster.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • SL55
    SL55 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I have done many butts in the past, but this is the first time I've noticed a fluctuation.