Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pizza

Options
reh111
reh111 Posts: 196
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all the info on this forum, I baked my first BGE pizza last night.  Got a recipe for whole wheat pizza dough but at the end it said to put it in the refrigerator for several hours to allow it to rise.  I thought you needed to put rising dough in a warm place.  Anyway, I made one recipe with the whole wheat flour and one with regular flour and put the whole wheat in the fridge as they said but the regular flour in a warm place. The regular flour rose, the whole wheat didn't - so I used the regular flour.  Plate Setter legs up with grate on top, BGE feet on grate, stone on feet - let stone warm for about 30 minutes at 550. Pizza on parchment paper for first 5 minutes, pulled paper, baked another 10 minutes - bottom a little burned probably from baking too long - will let bake less next time - but it was great:

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks good and i've had the same problem when doing pizza i've heard that its to much sugar in the dough ,but i have great success using 12inch wraps for pizza very forgiving and they don't  burn plus advantage is you can pick up different flavors of them 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • mjontrack
    mjontrack Posts: 18
    Options
    Some grocery stores have dough premade in the bakery section by their in-store bakery.  I know Publix does.  I've used it in the oven before but not on the Egg. Keep saying I'm gonna try making a pizza.. its definitely on my list of one of my next "to-do's"
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Refrigerating the pizza dough is to slow the fermentation of they yeast.  I use a recipe that says to refrigerate for 3 days.  It will rise a little bit, but when you take it out about 3 hours before making the pizza it will rise quickly.