Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time cyberq

Smity
Smity Posts: 57
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Setting up to use my cyberq for the first time tonight. Thought I was doing a brisket as it turns out we are doing a 7 pound pork shoulder. I know it's all about temp ( I take mine off at 195) but I have had different time lengths to achieve that. Wondering if anyone has used the ramping feature on the cyberq and if so does it prolong the cooking time a lot? Thanks for any input.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The main purpose of ramp mode is to hold your meat at the finished temperature in case you aren't around when it does finish.  The different lengths of time you experience is most likely normal variation between pieces of meat, cooks, etc.  I don't think Ramp Mode is going to help you there.
    The Naked Whiz
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    The Whiz is right...ramp mode brings the pit temp down as the meat temp rises to the target temp.  I would think using ramp mode would definitely prolong the cook.
  • Smity
    The instructions say it starts ramping down 30 degrees before finish temp I'm just not sure how much longer it will cook for due to the ramp. Gonna give it a whirl and see what happens if it's done early in the cooler it goes.
  • Smity
    Just had another thought .... I usually do these cooks at 225 dome temp so I think I'll have to set the cyberq pit temp at 210 or so to keep that the same. I can tell I'm going to have to play with this thing to get it down. Just hope I don't kill some meat in the process
  • joe@bge
    edited June 2012
    I do mine at 250 grate with the Guru...and I don't really care where where the dome temp lands.  I have had the grate temps dead on the same as the dome and I have had the dome temp as much as 40 degrees higher than grate temps - I guess it all depends on the dynamics of the fire and the amount of meat on the grill and placement of the grate probe.
  • Smity
    Ok then I think I'll stick with 225 like I normally do. Did you have to calibrate your guru or was it good out of the box?
  • joe@bge
    I haven't with the WiFi unit because my CyberQ II was dead on...both my units operate about the same temp-wise but now that you mention it, I should calibrate the WiFi just to make sure.
  • Smity
    Guess I'll check it out too.
  • Smity

To make you feel better... All meat is dead

So true! :D
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    I clip my CyberQ Wifi to the thermometer inside the dome. The temperatures then match for me for what I'm more familiar with, although I'm a newbie.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have the DigiQ with ramping feature, however the BGE holds heat so well that I don't think this is a feature that will matter very much, unless you are going to be away from the BGE for a LONG time.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    I have the DigiQ with ramping feature, however the BGE holds heat so well that I don't think this is a feature that will matter very much, unless you are going to be away from the BGE for a LONG time.

• Smity
    So far so good. Been on since 9:00 last night holding 225 and the meat is 167 the only problem I've had is the wifi has cut out 4or5 times and had to reset the unit.