Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Son in law of the year award?

Options

Comments

• Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Options
    Now that's funny! May be the same thought I had when I started, except for the going back to the old metal smoker.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bulleit is a great bourbon for the price-you have to crank up the $$ before you will find a better taste. Enjoy-I won't be on the bourbon train til later this evening....
    I think another good bang for your buck bottle is Eagle Rare 10yr.  That would be my go to bourbon.
    Couldn't agree more.  I have been meaning to post that for a couple of weeks now with all of the bourbon threads popping up.  It runs $25-30 per bottle and is pretty darn good.

noted.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Very nice gift, and based on your thread I see a lot of bonding time with your wifes dad in the near future. You really sweetened the deal with all that Ozark Oak, and maverick. #1 award goes to you sir! BTW if you want to make it official I could craft you up an award.
    ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Very nice gift, and based on your thread I see a lot of bonding time with your wifes dad in the near future. You really sweetened the deal with all that Ozark Oak, and maverick. #1 award goes to you sir! BTW if you want to make it official I could craft you up an award.
    ;)

out of metal or construction paper? Either one would be awesome
  • Brownie
    Options
    Hey man, it's your choice! You are the winner, not me.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hey man, it's your choice! You are the winner, not me.

I'll go metal if it's not too much trouble. I liked your spider handywork. A paper likeness will do fine if you don't feel like cranking up the welder :))

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry Cen-tex, I can't help myself.

Have any sisters?
    Id like to help you earn bother in-law of the year!
    :D

Yeah and God help you with either one of them. You would certainly earn your reward!

• Brownie
    Options
    Just so I don't get in trouble with a very popular store for ceramic grills, I think we should refer to my enlarged enhanced version as a taranchula? or.........something else?
  • Brownie
    Options
    I'll tell you what...........I don"t think I have showcased any of my woodworking skills. Give me a little time to gather some ideas for an award that will show you are top pick. Be back soon.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just so I don't get in trouble with a very popular store for ceramic grills, I think we should refer to my enlarged enhanced version as a taranchula? or.........something else?

spyder?

You aren't selling it commercially so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex; surely you had indications that this would be extremely well received or perhaps LS is on to the whole game plan...I'm sure your in-laws have enjoyed the results of your BGE cooks but as you well know it takes some work to get to the "set and forget" long-duration cooks.  And maybe your F-I-L hasn't figured out the side benefit of being able to escape to "tend to the BGE" with an adult beverage and doing nothing but enjoying the space...all in good time I'm sure.  Bourbon train departs in a couple of hours-don't be late :)>-
    Oh he hounded us for it so I didn't just pull this out of the air. I'll have to come back out a few times to get him going. He is a mess and it was just too much for him to take in 1 visit. I cooked everything while he watched golf :).
    Says he's going to do a brisket tomorrow night. Just kept asking me "how long"? I said "it doesn't work that way". I gave him my old E72 and he wouldn't even look at it.  "Just tell me how long the damn thing takes". Oh boy. I can tell my phone is going to be ringing off the wall at 2:30 am Sunday morning...."my fire's out.....is my meat ruined?........what is the damn thing you bought for me?.....I'm going back to my Brinkman.....I can't believe you pad$1200 bucks for this POS. Good times

Oh well, Like LS and others have alluded to up top, Might be getting a new large here in the next few months

Cen-Tex,

Just so you know my opinion of you has not dropped one little bit

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Brownie
    Options
    Cen-Tex. I would now like to present to you an award for son in law excellency! You've earned it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex. I would now like to present to you an award for son in law excellency! You've earned it.

Awesome Brownie! Thanks
  • Brownie
    Options
    Ahhh. My son has the scissors (not safety, I got serious on this project) and toothpicks, and my wife wants to know wth I'm doing......gotta go...But really nice gifts Cen-Tex.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker you win CT hands down and it won't even be a contest.  Going to delight you ML also.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ahhh. My son has the scissors (not safety, I got serious on this project) and toothpicks, and my wife wants to know wth I'm doing......gotta go...But really nice gifts Cen-Tex.

Dude, you are one of a kind....thank god
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Sorry Cen-tex, I can't help myself

Have any sisters?

Yeah and God help you with either one of them. You would certainly earn your reward!

Why? Can they toss watermelons really well?

Lol ;)

Btw, more great work brownie!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Have any sisters?

Lol ;)

No, but they will drag your ass to church 3X a week and let you know what you whould be doing with your life for free!

Let's just say that although we all get along and have fun together, I have strayed a bit from the flock :))

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    That's what you get for leaving Lutheran country for Baptist country, dontchaknow.

BTW, Make sure you remove all lighter fluid from the premises. I know that's what my ex FIL would have used...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That's what you get for leaving Lutheran country for Baptist country, dontchaknow.

BTW, Make sure you remove all lighter fluid from the premises. I know that's what my ex FIL would have used...

Great point. We had that chat right away. I don't want anyone using fluid in my....er, I mean their new egg :D
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options

Have any sisters?

Lol ;)

No, but they will drag your ass to church 3X a week and let you know what you whould be doing with your life for free!

Let's just say that although we all get along and have fun together, I have strayed a bit from the flock :))

Hmmmm A free egg = church 3Xs a week? I'm gunna have to pass. LOL 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Have any sisters?

Lol ;)

Hmmmm A free egg = church 3Xs a week? I'm gunna have to pass. LOL 
    That's just the start. Trust me, buy your own. It will be much cheaper on all counts.
  • Rich_ie
    Options
    Ahhhh Nothing in life is free!!  ;D 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, I successfully scared him about flashback so much that he has not touched it since I cooked for him last week. I've been out of town all week and called him today to see how it was going. He is scared of it :)

They live 1.5 hours from me and we all are going to visit on Friday with my wife's siblings and kids etc. He really wants to do a brisket for our lunch on Friday so I'm going up Thursday to get him all set up and get the brisket on for him to cook overnight. He's really excited about it so it's kind of fun for me too. This might be the longest drive I've made in the name of Brisket (i'm going up and back in one afternoon) but to see him get all fired up about it makes it all worthwhile.

I'm leaving my 732 there against my better judgement but want to be able to call him to check in on temps etc. I'm not even going to tell him where things should be or he will start opening and closing the daisy and chasing temps all night.

Wish me luck!

• Rich_ie
    Options
    LOL You are nicer than I. Good luck! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Enjoy the journey has a couple of meanings here-sounds like it will be quite the bonding experience.  Have fun-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Enjoy the journey has a couple of meanings here-sounds like it will be quite the bonding experience.  Have fun-
    Yeah. We really should have started down this road a few years ago but I'm glad I get to spend some time with him on the back 9 (back 2 really).
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Yeah. We really should have started down this road a few years ago but I'm glad I get to spend some time with him on the back 9 (back 2 really).
    Safe travels - that is above and beyond.  It takes a lot to let someone like you teach him I am sure, so be patient.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    I will say prayers for patience for you. by the way the whole thread had me giggling and spitting beer funny man very funny.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well....he has not fired it up since I got it for him and as I said above, All he wants to do is a brisket. God help us all. 10 of us are going out there for lunch today so I bought a brisket and took it out there yesterday and set up the fire and left. he had 3 hours before the brisket was to go on but I had it all set up in the v-rack with a drip pan and the maverick probe in the brisket. All he had to do was put the brisket on, plug in the probe (which I was sure he was going to cook the probe with the brisket but he got it right) and pray the fire held steady. He got the brisket on at 9 pm. I called at 10:30 and fired had gone down to 201. I told him to make a SLIGHT adjustment and go to bed. I figured I would buy some brisket on the way out if it didn't work. Just called him this morning............fire at 260 and brisket at 194! He did it! He pulled it, FTC'd it and we are headed out in a few hours for some (hopefully) awesome brisket.

I'll take pics, I'm sure he is beaming right now. Can't wait to see how this turned out. If this guy can do it, I have hope for anyone (as long as I can come to your house, build and start your fire, choose and buy your brisket and rub, and set you up the way I do it). :))

OK, maybe it's not THAT simple but this is better than I thought it would be in this situation.