Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burning gasket ruined my steak

CCC74
CCC74 Posts: 11
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I made a steak last night and the gasket started to burn and smoke in a small area near the back. It really stunk and transferred to the steak. Needless to say it was not edible. The steak was not a very good one anyway so there was no loss. I don't really want it to happen again. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    I'm glad it wasn't the $54 steak we saw pics of!!!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Put on a new and approved gasket replacement ... and you should be good to go ....

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Contact BGE HQ and the will likely send you a new nomex gratis.  Search (or with the weak search function google) BGE gasket replacement and you will get several choices/options.  Meanwhile you can go gasketless, at least in the burnt area-if you do more high heat cooks expect the remainder of the gasket to fail.  So you can remove the rest of the OEM gasket now and go gasket-less-many do til you decide on a replacement approach.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Scrape off all the gasket, do a very hot burn to get rid of any adhesive, and go gasket less.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CCC74
    CCC74 Posts: 11
    Thanks.

I think I will go gasket less for awhile.

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    travis, only women should go gasketless or is it topless?  Anyway... get a rutland or nomex! :-)
  • dtun1
    dtun1 Posts: 32

Here's part of what BGE customer service told me in an email after my gasket burned throught after just 3 months.

Sorry for the trouble, we'll get that gasket in the mail. There is a lot
    of good information on the forum, but there are some nutty things as well.
    Rutland does not recommend using their gaskets around food, so do your research
    before you make any decisions. High heat cooking is great, but you want to
    limit the amount of time you keep the grill in that zone. Most people don't
    realize that a dome temperature of 700 degrees is 1200 degrees at the cooking
    grid level. That is why we recommend flipping the plate setter over and cooking
    pizzas at 500-550 degrees. Your pizza will still taste great and it is much
    easier on your gaskets. Honestly the only thing that changes is the amount off
    cooking time is extended by a couple of minutes. Ultimately how you cook and
    the temperatures you use will determine how long any gasket will last. If all
    you ever did was direct grilling, you would not even need to have a gasket on
    the grill, but it does protect the rims from impact damage and help keep
    moisture in the grill.

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Dome at 700 is 1200 grate? Talk about nutty...