Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New cooking grate

Options
Bdcoaibge
Bdcoaibge Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I need a new cooking great for my large big green egg
Do I go porcelain, stainless steel, or cast iron and why?

Comments

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Depends on what you do most.  If only low and slow, does not really matter.

I would consider GrillGrates (anodized aluminum) on Groupon or  modular cast iron.  Others should weigh in.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    OK, here's my .02:
    IMHO, don't do 
    porcelain, my gasser has it, and it's nice and non-stick when new, but more delicate, and can chip.
    If you like sear marks, and don't mind weight, and some light maintenance look into Cast Iron.
    If you want pure ease of use go Stainless.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • TripleD
    TripleD Posts: 14
    Options
    Received a set of grill grates for Father's day. Have only used once for burgers but they worked  great. Good grill marks and sear. More testing to follow.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Received a set of grill grates for Father's day. Have only used once for burgers but they worked  great. Good grill marks and sear. More testing to follow.
    I'm a huge fan of Grill Grates.  They are the best thing to use in my opinion. I got onto them from Meathead at Amazing Ribs.  He gave them his highest endorsement, and so do I.
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Options
    I just ordered new stainless grates for my XL and was by two dealers they couldnt order the porcelain anymore.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I bought a set of the cast iron ones for my XL- have only used a few times with burgers and steaks but does an excellent job of searing.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'd skip the porcelain and go stainless or CI.  I used CI full time on my gasser and I have CI for use with my spider (18").  Main draw back about CI for the XL's main grate is going to be weight if you use a grid lifter.   I found that CI on my gasser required minimal maintenance when used regularly.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.