Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu Brisket

Options
2»

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

People keep saying there are no standards for Wagyu but I beg to differ. We were playing telestrations at a friends house tonight when this popped up. I will load to Wikipedia in the am but thought you guys needed to see it first.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Hate to rain on anyone, but you should compare your cuts, hands-on, before buying.  The difference btw meat literally stands on it's own merit, side-by-side..

Incidentally, everyone remembers when this "brisket" cut was deemed only just suitable for dog food???

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options

God help you. I get pretty smart when I'm drunk :))

When I was in college, I used to drink a bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine while I did my physics homework.  The lower the bottle got, the smarter I got.  Do they even still sell that crap?  :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Incidentally, everyone remembers when this "brisket" cut was deemed only just suitable for dog food???

Nope, not here in Texas.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• friscoag
    friscoag Posts: 97
    Options
    This whole thread started by someone who's been watching too many episodes of "BBQ Pitmasters" and listened to that windbag, Myron Mixon too damn many times!!!
    Why do you have to be an ass?  What's wrong with me wanting to cook Wagyu to try it out and see if it is actually better???
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This whole thread started by someone who's been watching too many episodes of "BBQ Pitmasters" and listened to that windbag, Myron Mixon too @#!*% many times!!!
    Why do you have to be an @#!*% ?  What's wrong with me wanting to cook Wagyu to try it out and see if it is actually better???
    absolutely nothing. If I found something that I thought was better, i would try it for sure. Like i said above, Not sure why I got so fired up about the semantics of calling it Wagyu. there are better cuts of brisket out there, and if you find one, go for it- no matter what it's called.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

People keep saying there are no standards for Wagyu but I beg to differ. We were playing telestrations at a friends house tonight when this popped up. I will load to Wikipedia in the am but thought you guys needed to see it first.

Is that a Unicorn who's back has been eaten by a Dragon? (I'm awesome at telestration)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

God help you. I get pretty smart when I'm drunk :))

When I was in college, I used to drink a bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine while I did my physics homework.  The lower the bottle got, the smarter I got.  Do they even still sell that crap?  :))
    According to their fan club website, they do still make green apple. Aspiring physics students everywhere rejoice!

The drunkest I have ever been (and that is saying something) was on Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill in 10th grade
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    You know there is an easy way to settle this, cook 2 briskets same exact way, side by side. One wagyu and one of normal brisket you use, and then do a party. Do blind taste tests with the party and see which they like more as well as you like, and then go from there. Problem solved!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

IM kinda new to the Egghead Forum here and dont want to be an outcast... I know you guys know your stuff.  This topic got me up though, I have had Waygu/Kobe in many various locations and bought it to cook myself in various places....San Diego, Tampa, OKC, Chicago, you get the picture  If it really is Kobe beef, then yes it really is that much better.  But unfortunately some places  either meat counters/butchers or restaurants label it as Kobe and it isnt.  When I lived in Tampa, FL many times a restaurant would serve something that was not as it supposed to be. They would sell a whitefish and it would be cod or sell scallops and they werent scallops- I wont get into what they were selling... hence lots of genetic testing is done now on seafood. Its a great way to make profit.  I dont know if buying a brisket Waygu is going to really be that much better.  Kobe/Waygu is really a premium steak beef, ie Filet, Sirloin, etc type of meat..  The fat content wont be remarkably different in Wagyu to Prime.. how do I know I..I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's @#!*% , but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.

My family has several meat packing houses in the Midwest... they know about meat....Just be very careful with buying meat from someone... they could be selling a prime cut as Waygu etc.. Know your butcher or meat source!  But real Waygu-Kobe is much better than Prime cut.  I have had it many times and it really does melt, you dont have to chew it.  Its really that good.

You'll never be an outcast here so no worries. 

Not to crank things up again, but nobody has ever had Kobe Beef in the US.  It is not even legal to export Kobe beef to the US and it never has been. Wagyu just means Japanese cattle so we've all probably had some Wagyu at some time or another.The word Kobe in the US is a marketing name only and is completely inaccurate when it comes to the actual product.

I read the article that the Whiz posted and I believe this guy was duped into paying premium for a Kobe Taster Menu at Craft Steak in Vegas.  Do I think it was Kobe? No?  Was it still the best steak i've ever eaten in my life? Yep!  So whatever it was, it was worth the price tag as I still rate it as one of the better dine in experiences i've had. 

To say nobody has had Kobe Beef in the US...I disagree heavily.  It's being consumed illegally by the peeps who can afford the black market price tag.  If you have $$$$$, anything can be had.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

IM kinda new to the Egghead Forum here and dont want to be an outcast... I know you guys know your stuff.  This topic got me up though, I have had Waygu/Kobe in many various locations and bought it to cook myself in various places....San Diego, Tampa, OKC, Chicago, you get the picture  If it really is Kobe beef, then yes it really is that much better.  But unfortunately some places  either meat counters/butchers or restaurants label it as Kobe and it isnt.  When I lived in Tampa, FL many times a restaurant would serve something that was not as it supposed to be. They would sell a whitefish and it would be cod or sell scallops and they werent scallops- I wont get into what they were selling... hence lots of genetic testing is done now on seafood. Its a great way to make profit.  I dont know if buying a brisket Waygu is going to really be that much better.  Kobe/Waygu is really a premium steak beef, ie Filet, Sirloin, etc type of meat..  The fat content wont be remarkably different in Wagyu to Prime.. how do I know I..I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's @#!*% , but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.

My family has several meat packing houses in the Midwest... they know about meat....Just be very careful with buying meat from someone... they could be selling a prime cut as Waygu etc.. Know your butcher or meat source!  But real Waygu-Kobe is much better than Prime cut.  I have had it many times and it really does melt, you dont have to chew it.  Its really that good.

You'll never be an outcast here so no worries. 

Not to crank things up again, but nobody has ever had Kobe Beef in the US.  It is not even legal to export Kobe beef to the US and it never has been. Wagyu just means Japanese cattle so we've all probably had some Wagyu at some time or another.The word Kobe in the US is a marketing name only and is completely inaccurate when it comes to the actual product.

I read the article that the Whiz posted and I believe this guy was duped into paying premium for a Kobe Taster Menu at Craft Steak in Vegas.  Do I think it was Kobe? No?  Was it still the best steak i've ever eaten in my life? Yep!  So whatever it was, it was worth the price tag as I still rate it as one of the better dine in experiences i've had. 

To say nobody has had Kobe Beef in the US...I disagree heavily.  It's being consumed illegally by the peeps who can afford the black market price tag.  If you have $$$$$, anything can be had.

I've had those same steaks and they were out of this world- best ever. 

Yes anything can be had on the back market. Wasn't really my point. Was saying that for a person of normal means on no criminal intent to say they have had Kobe beef many times is not correct. They have had great, well marbled beef many times, but not Kobe. Japanese cattle/Angus hybrid? Sure. It's everywhere and it's delicious.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Glad to hear you had the same experience at Craft Steak. :)  Do you also try their Mokey Bread?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Glad to hear you had the same experience at Craft Steak. :)  Do you also try their Mokey Bread?
    I did not. going back in August though. I'll put it on the list. I don't feel so bad about calling it Kobe when I'm with my customers on the corporate dime :))

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

There is a Craft in Dallas - thought it was really good - but not all the way the best.

Wonder if it is the same Craft?

Cookin in Texas
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options

Snake river farms has good meat as mentioned above. A store by my house carries their meat and I buy a steak or some cut lets every once in a while to throw on teh salt block. At $34.99 a pound its pretty expensive but man is it good. I have never seen marbling like this in any butcher.

Wow just look at that fat marbled through it, never seen anything like it, must be tasty.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Maybe we should just make up a rule, and just call it "Wagyu" (with quotes).
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Maybe we should just make up a rule, and just call it "Wagyu" (with quotes).
    Or maybe i should just get over it and play nice :)). Whatever it is, it's great quality beef, well above prime.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Semantics
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Smear some mustard on it -- evens it out.   Shoot, I had some Fire Ant bites - mustard healed them right up.
    Cookin in Texas
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    I just did my first Wyagu last night.  I got it from the farmer near Belgrade Montana and drove it another 3 hours back home.  This stuff is the real deal, in the sense that it is grass fed, and finished with fantastic ingredients and then aged for 28 days before piecing out.  They age the whole cow, not just cuts and pieces after they butcher it.  I get nothing for this (but wish I did).  Here is his website:

I did both a ribeye and a small sirloin.  The sirloin did not have the marbling like you see in centerfolds, but it was as tender as could be.  The Ribeye was spectacular!  I cannot wait to cook some again!

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Smear some mustard on it -- evens it out.   Shoot, I had some Fire Ant bites - mustard healed them right up.
    I had a touch of the arthritis and mustard cleared it right up. Mighty pow'rful stuff that mustard
  • TrickyRick
    Options
    I don't know where people have the impression that Wagyu is not a breed of cattle..it is.  

The original import of these cattle to the U.S. in 1976 consisted of two Tottori Black Wagyu and two Kumamoto Red Wagyu bulls. That was the only importation of Wagyu into the U.S. until 1993 when two male and three female Tajima cattle were imported and 1994 when 35 male and female cattle consisting of both red and black genetics reached the U.S.   Because of the low numbers of cattle available some cattle were bred to Angus beef and then the resulting cows bred back to achieve a more pure strain of beef.  This practice has carried on for generations now and the breed is as pure as we can get it now (since Japan has now stopped exporting Wagyu cattle - which almost ruined them when a breakout of hoof and mouth decimated the cattle in Japan). Pure strains of cattle in this country are still very rare - descended from the original imported beef or from Australian strains that were imported there at the same time.  Regardless, anyone doing some research can see that NO REAL pure strain of Wagyu beef has ever graded less than prime and most have graded Prime ++ or higher.  Can't say anything about dishonest people who name their beef something that they are not.

The meat from wagyu cattle is known worldwide for its marbling characteristics, increased eating quality through a naturally enhanced flavor, tenderness and juiciness, and a high market value. In several areas of Japan, beef is shipped with area names. (including Kobe - an area of Japan) 

Highly prized for their rich flavor, these cattle produce arguably the finest beef in the world. These different breeds produce beef that range from expensive (by any measure) to extremely expensive.

To learn more look here http://www.wagyu.org/wagyu.htm

BTW I don't sell or to be honest have even tasted Wagyu beef yet...but my wife and I are thinking of starting a farm and have looked at this breed extensively as an option on the farm.  Thanks for reading!  JMO!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Maybe some Aged Kobe will be washing up on the Oregon coast with some docks soon...
    Lynnwood WA
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Options
    Not sure what you guys in the US are eating, but I've been buying Australian wagyu for years (not regularly, due to both their price and high fat content), for approximately $70 a kilo (Their price is dependent upon marbling rate.)

For some distinctions, look up:
    http://www.blackgoldfarms.com.au/facts.html
    Scrolling down to the wagyu facts.

While I can't comment on a wagyu brisket (as per the OP's question), I know that some cuts of meat would benefit from the extra marbling, whereas others won't.

I for one prefer certified angus for a steak, whereas a whole wagyu rib eye is unbeatable.