Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

habanero recipes anyone have any??

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a couple of habanero peppers today, anyone have any recipes for these puppies. Want to try the heat. 
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    You could make NBT's...Nuclear Buffalo Turds.  :D
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Don't do that!! I did it once ( I think it was last year). For some reason I decided to grow habaneros and I made a batch of ABTs with one NBT(if that's what we are calling them) It didn't go well for me. image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options

You could make NBT's...Nuclear Buffalo Turds.  :D
    Eggbertsdad : you need to copyright that!

^:)^
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Thanks taz....

But as Griffin said, he tried it and decided it wasn't a good idea. I can't imagine how hot the 1st bite was. Griff, care to elaborate?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Hey, some people might like it. We don't usually have milk in the house. I'm glad we did that day. Drank a few glasses and then had some ice cream and my mouth was still burning. And then it burned the next day.... :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggbertsdad
    edited June 2012
    Options
    =))

I can only imagine how hot that was. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    They are tooo hot for me and leave a long lingering after burn, but at age 68 a warm beer is also tooo hot.
    Sauce, Chili, Habanero, Hot, Thirdreye

icemncmth,That is an excellent how-to. I like habanero sauces
    when the sauce still maintains flavor instead of just heat. The older I get the
    less heat I can tolerate. LOL Yours looks very good by the way.Speaking of
    carrots, Here is another similar sauce recipe that has carrots added. Thought
    you may like it for your recipe file. It's flavor and orange color is similar to
    Melindas if you are familiar with that sauce.~thirdeye~

INGREDIENTS:  
    8 to 12   habaneros, stemmed but not seeded, chopped  
    1/2 cup    onion, chopped  
    2   cloves garlic, minced  
    1 Tbs    olive oil  

1/2 cup    carrots, chopped  
    1/8 cup    water (add more if needed)  
    1/2 cup    white vinegar  
    1/4 cup    lime juice  

Procedure:
    1 Sauté onions and garlic in oil over medium low heat until
    soft but not brown. Add carrots and water. Bring to boil, reduce to low and cook
    until carrots are cooked. Add water as needed until carrots are
    tender.
    2 Remove this mixture to a blender and blend along with the
    Habaneros. When smooth, mix in vinegar and lime juice and simmer
    briefly.
    3 If you are looking to use the sauce immediately, simmer for
    5 min; if you are going to store it, 2 min will be sufficient but will increase
    the heat of the sauce to about Melinda's xxtra sauce heat.
    4 You may opt to double the Habs to create a painfully hot
    sauce (about as hot as Melinda's reserve).
    5 Pack into sterilized containers for
    storage.

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source

Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2007/07/23

• smokesniffer
    Options
    I don't think I would be able to survive a NBT, great name by the way. I was thinking more along the lines of adding to some recipe. I washed the little fella and was going to dice up some of it and mix it into the cream cheese. But thought that my wife wouldn't partake. I would like to find something simple to try, I want to feel the heat for myself. We once went to Buffalo Wild Wings with friends and we were taunting each other on the hot sauce, just for kicks. Want something else to sample with him. Yea I know, not a great idea, Griff I hear you loud and clear, just wanted to try something foolish. :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Options
    Jamaican jerk chicken is my favorite use for habaneros. I dont have a recipe off hand. But try ATK or foodnetwork.com.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    A homemade Jamaican jerk sauce or paste is a great use for a habanero.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Don't have any for one or two peppers, but in the fall I will get several locally grown and then smoke them down and chop into the hot version of chipotles.  They reside in a well-marked jar for seasoning.  Love the flavor but must be judicious in the use!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    just add some to your favorite salsa recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    make jerk chicken! chop them up with some scallions, garlic, ginger, 5 spice, vinegar salt and pepper, marinate for a day and off to the races!

• Little Steven
    Options
    smokesniffer
    Picked up a couple of habanero peppers today

Must be nice to live in the tropics eh?
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @LS yep tropics alright, rain, rain and some more rain. EH! It is just about the end of June. Not to many more months for summer to show up. 
    @Eggbertsdad, jerk sauce sounds kind of fun, maybe over some chicken wings.
    @ xraypat23 thanks for the recipe I will give that a try. 

You guys/gals are amazing. Thanks again.
    If any others have suggestions,  BRING EM
    ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I made some with boudin and cream cheese this weekend. Boudin is a cajun sausage. Jalapeños not NBT, Don't think even this cajun could stand that. Not too sure of it's spread but we have it down here south of Houston. Once the casing of the boudin is removed, it crumbles easily to incorporate it into the cream cheese. Turned out to be one of the hits of the party. Everyone loved it. I cooked it direct with a raised grill at 375 for around 40 minutes. Some turned out a little "well done" but were still devoured. Next time I'll reduce the them to 325 or go with indirect heat.  
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas