Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing below the Fire Ring question:

tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me if they have ever heard of a problem where someone took out their fire ring, dropped the CI grate in (if it fits), then put the fire ring back on top. Trying to sear closer to the coal level tonight (in the middle of a north east heat wave of course!).

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    don't think it'll fit.
    smaller diameter.

why put the ring back on top?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Put the ring back to protect the sides maybe

skip the ci grate and throw the steaks directly on the charcoal :)
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Use your grid extender and fold the legs under it. It fits perfect. (Assuming you have one)

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186

If you have a Lge egg, get a spider from the Ceramic Grill store and a small green egg cast iron grate. I get the egg to 450' at the dome.( It's much hotter down below) and sear a steak for 1-2 minutes /side depending on the thickness.Then move the steak  up top on the BGE grate until desired done temp.For me 120'.Then let it rest

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010007-7.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010008-9.jpg

• Why don't you just fill the lump up to the top of the fire ring?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657

Why don't you just fill the lump up to the top of the fire ring?

or get a small, the fire is closer to the grate
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    don't think it'll fit.
    smaller diameter.

why put the ring back on top?
    Put the ring back to protect the sides maybe
    That was the thought misu.
    I would give cowboy a shot, but cooking for the Mrs and son.

or get a small, the fire is closer to the grate
    :))
    Trust me. I'm playing that card enough already. :D

Spider will be ordered when i can get my wok.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I have the LBGE and a 17" weber grate that I put on the fire box (reinstall the ring) for searing then finish at the normal level after the T-rex rest.  No issues so far.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    Well. It's confirmed, the CI grid will NOT fit on the firebox. When dropping it in, it stopped about 1/4 of an inch before hitting the firebox. Didn't want to play with ceramic and expanding metal. So just made the fire hotter,
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Use your grid extender and fold the legs under it. It fits perfect. (Assuming you have one)
    I tried this and it warped it a bit and now its starting to rust.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Use your grid extender and fold the legs under it. It fits perfect. (Assuming you have one)

That's what I do. Fits perfectly. it rusted out really quick though. Don't think it was made for that heat
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

I just removed the legs on mine, turned a useless accessory into something useful. It has warped and rusted a bit though.
    George
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Well. It's confirmed, the CI grid will NOT fit on the firebox. When dropping it in, it stopped about 1/4 of an inch before hitting the firebox. Didn't want to play with ceramic and expanding metal. So just made the fire hotter,

Will the grate actually expand enough to crack the fire ring?

George
    George
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    edited June 2012

at tazcrash
    it was mentioned that you can just bring the fire up to the grate by filling into the fire ring, you can actually over fill the ring in the center and balance the grate on the lump, same as lowering the grate to the lump. also i find with the castiron that a riproaring 800 degree plus isnt needed to do what you want, 650/700 is enough for the castiron to do its job
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    @ gte: the CI grate was up against the egg walls, I had a CI grate crack on me from what I think was uneven heating.
    Would it crack the egg? I don't know, but I'm not experimenting.

@fishless: yep getting the egg to 700, and the CI grate was more than adequate for great marks on that yummy hunk of bovine carcus
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!