Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Tip Roast

Options
phantom21
phantom21 Posts: 7
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I got a 3+lb sirloin tip and really dont know what to do with it.  Any ideas?

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Cook it low and slow indirect until internal temp gets to within 5-10 deg of your desired doneness. Pull it off, remove platesetter, and crank the heat up to 600-700. Throw it back on and sear all sides of it. Let it rest for 10-15 min and enjoy. Sirloin tips are to die for done on an Egg.
  • phantom21
    Options

Thanks for the reply.  What internal temp should I shoot for if I'm looking for a Med well?  Also, would you use a rub on the outside during the slow and low?  What about wood chips?

Thanks again!

Wes

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    150 degrees final internal temp is med-well. So pull it at 140-145, crank the heat, and sear it. After the rest, it should be pretty close.

I don't use rubs on a tip. Last one I did I sprinkled some Lawry's seasoned salt on it prior to cooking. It was good. But I'm a meat purist - rarely season my steak or roasts while cooking and just use salt at the table. This of course is just a personal preference and you should do as you wish - and experiment. I don't do smoke either for that reason, but some do.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    Options

What internal temp should I shoot for if I'm looking for a Med well?  Also, would you use a rub on the outside during the slow and low?  

Anything I can do to convince you to cook it to medium RARE instead of medium well?  I promise it will taste a lot better!  I'd cook it at like 375-400 until it reaches 125 internal and let it rest 10 minutes or so.  Mmmmm...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options

Anything I can do to convince you to cook it to medium RARE instead of medium well?  I promise it will taste a lot better!  I'd cook it at like 375-400 until it reaches 125 internal and let it rest 10 minutes or so.  Mmmmm...

+1
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • phantom21
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!  I'll jump on it this weekend.