Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

used charcoal

Nicktab
Nicktab Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
What do people do with the leftover charcoal. If there is a lot of charcoal left I try and reuse it however it seems to take forever to get going, not sure if air holes are plugged or it just takes that long to get going. Alot of times there is plenty of used charcoal left for the next cook if I can get it going.

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    I put it in a bucket and dump it on top of fresh lump...too good to waste.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

i stir it up to get the ashes through the holes, then dump new lump on top... unless there is a lot left, i just stir it up and light it.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148

i stir it up to get the ashes through the holes, then dump new lump on top... unless there is a lot left, i just stir it up and light it.

This +1.
  • Nicktab
    Nicktab Posts: 2

stevesails

how do you light it and how long does it usually take to get up to 350-400 when using all used charcoal

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Buy a turbo grate from BBQ Guru and just give it a quick stir and tap on hte bottom, sometimes you don't need to even do that.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I always cook on burned lump.  In fact, almost every cook.  After I shut down, I leave what is in there.  Next cook, I open, stir to get the ash to fall to the bottom, and start a new Weber Chimney filled to the top.  After 8-10 minutes, when flames are coming out the top, I dump the chimney of coals on top of the other coals, stir gently, and bring up to temp.  The used coals take a little more to light, but the new lump on top gets them going almost instantly.  I use my Egg 4-5 times a week, and I go through 1/4 of the coal I went through with my Weber....or maybe less.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53

Ditto,  works everytime!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    Every single cook I've done,  I dump the new lump on top of the old lump (except for the very first cook I did, that one was all new lump).  ;)
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

Ditto that here,   stir it up check the hole in the bottom grate and in the side to make sure they are clear,      If I have enough lump for the cook I just light it same as usual.     If I need more I just pour the new on the top of the old and go to town.    Never have any trouble getting up to temp and long as I have cleared the holes and cleaned out below the grate to get rid of the ash.  
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

stevesails

how do you light it and how long does it usually take to get up to 350-400 when using all used charcoal

I light it same as I do on any other cook.   I use fire starters.     If I am doing a low and slow I just use one to do a slow start while I prep the ribs or other meat.    If I am doing a high temp cook I use fire starters in three spots. 
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Is it worth another stir dump and light vote +1!

XLBGE 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Use it for the next cooks. I am a lump miser,  as soon as I am finished cooking the daisy wheel goes on the grate and egg gets shut down.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

i use a weed burner from harbor freight to light my egg.  it is the BEST!  as soon as I am done cooking I put on the rain cap and close the bottom vent, and put the DMFT inside the egg. ( I rarely use it) only for cooks under 350.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

Generally I leave the lump well enough alone if I can see good air flow to the bottom - will use chimney starter 1/2 full, light, let get going good and dump over top old lump.  Sometimes I can do this for up to 4 cooks.  Then I will clean out , throw some larger peices on the bottom and then top up with old lump and use fire starters to light and do it all over again

• Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42

I do the stir/put new lump on top but every once in a while, I'll take the lump out and put it in a bucket, take out the fire ring and firebox, and clean out the ash.  I then put back the lump and add new lump as necessary.

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    About once a month I take the fire ring and box out and vacuum out everything. I've heard others say they never take theirs apart and just rake or vacuum under the grate. 

Does that much ash accumulate through the holes on the side of the fire box?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)