Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rust on daisy wheel

Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So i forgot to put the green top on my egg one night when it was cooling down and when i got up the next morning there was a light drizzle so i ran out and closed everything out..  so last weekend i went to grill on it and noticed a little rust and i cleaned it up with hot water and dried it off well then put some coconut oil on it like you would a cast iron pan..no soap... it wasnt all gone but wasnt bad.  then of course that was the day i got drenched while cooking.. I took it off and did the cleaning process again and i even put it in my oven to dry the places that may still have water and it still looks like poop.  Any suggestions?? 

Comments

•  "Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    The above post is great to get it back into shape-the key is the last post-when finished with the BGE, put the DFMT inside the BGE when shutting it down and leave it there til next cook.  That will save you from the reconditioning process.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Yep...spray mine with cooking spray every once in a while and put it in the Egg at the end of each cook.  Looks like new and never rusts.
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Thanks 
    that is what i normally do.

ill just clean it up again and re oil it and go from there
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Yep...spray mine with cooking spray every once in a while and put it in the Egg at the end of each cook.  Looks like new and never rusts.
    +1, but I wait till the egg isn't searing hot. That can kill the conditioning. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I was just going through this fear. I watered my yard and noticed my daisy wheel out. Usually I have it on the grill when I shut down. I put it in the egg last night when I noticed. First thing this morning I lit my egg up and made some hot dogs. Then, put the daisy wheel on the grill a few minutes before I shut it down. No rust at all, but didn't want to take any chances.
  • Good tips from all of you. I used mine for the first time today. Made sure to put it inside during the cool down. I made hot dogs. Gonna try something bigger and better this weekend. Hamburgers next, and then onto ribs, pork shoulder, and turkey!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I don't even have my ceramic top anymore.  My daisy wheel stays outside all the time.  Going on 10 yrs or so now.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited June 2012
    Crisco
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I rubbed mine with crisco and seasoned like a cast iron skillet. Good as new.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I have been storing my daisy wheel inside the egg just like recommended. Noticed a few small rust spots on it today. Do I need to scrub it with a steel wool or just soap and water before I season it? Think I might start storing in the house now.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have been storing my daisy wheel inside the egg just like recommended. Noticed a few small rust spots on it today. Do I need to scrub it with a steel wool or just soap and water before I season it? Think I might start storing in the house now.
    None of the above from my view-just give it a good shot of Pam or the generic equivalent and put it back in the BGE  during the shutdown/cool down.  It should salvage itself-either that or I have been lucky.  Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    What I do, which works with all cast iron implements:
    1- wash the daisy wheel in warm water.
    2- spread baking soda all over it, and let it rest for 10-20 minutes
    3- brush with a non-metallic scour. If necessary, use a mild soap
    4- dry thoroughly
    5- season with cooking oil (vegetable/sunflower/canola oil works. don't use your good extra virgin for this exercise), and put in the oven at a moderate heat for at least an hour.

As been suggested, store the wheel inside the egg.