Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low & slow tonight!

carbajc8
carbajc8 Posts: 7
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a 9 lb boston butt yesterday for $4.34 from local supermarket (sell by date of today)!  Going to try my first low & slow tonight.  Was counting on having my new high-que fire grate for the cook, but package arrived from Amazon with the standard BGE grate in it!  So much for the $2 savings from the "open box" deal!  Amazon was "grate" about it an refunded all the money already.  That's a dirty trick someone pulled on Amazon, returning the BGE grate in the high-que packaging.  :-(

Anyway, any further tips for a low & slow? Lots of good reading already done on the forum!

Comments

• Wow - that's return fraud and it costs retailers billions of dollars a year...

Good luck on your butt - check out the Naked Whiz Publishing Empire
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm

Also there are some great youtube videos also.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlafiyj927Q

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Picked up a 9 lb boston butt yesterday for $4.34 from local supermarket (sell by date of today)!  Going to try my first low & slow tonight.  Was counting on having my new high-que fire grate for the cook, but package arrived from Amazon with the standard BGE grate in it!  So much for the $2 savings from the "open box" deal!  Amazon was "grate" about it an refunded all the money already.  That's a dirty trick someone pulled on Amazon, returning the BGE grate in the high-que packaging.  :-(

Anyway, any further tips for a low & slow? Lots of good reading already done on the forum!
    If you are worried about the fire going out you can stick a floor fan or oscillating fan a few feet from the egg to prevent ash buildup. Just on low setting.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Patience especially during the plateau-and has been said many times, if you are lookin then you aren't cookin. If you have checked TNW's site and other posts here then it's "Showtime".  And remember, don't chase temperature, the feed-back response is quite lengthy and  +/- 30*F (or more) is no big deal on low&slows.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • carbajc8
    carbajc8 Posts: 7
    Well, it's over!  Temp alarm at 2:30 AM (too low) then 4:30 AM (too hot).  Got it dialed in and came off around 3PM.

Held FTC until dinner at 6:30.  

All is can say is mmmmmmmmm......  some minor tweaking next time, but lots learned and a good result!

Thanks for all the help/advice!