Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooldown time?

Options
alexwolf1216
alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
How long should it take for the large to cool down after closing the vent and closing the top? Mine takes 3-4 hours at least, and I was wondering if this was normal.

San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
Wolf Studios Photography
http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com

Comments

• Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    Options
    Depends on temp and duration of cook. 

Mine has taken that long to cool down in the past.
  • alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    Options
    550 pizza.....was on for about an hour. Its cooling down now, finished about 7 so I will keep an eye on it. The ribs I made for fathers day were 5 hours at 250 and took about 3 hours to cool down.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Hours man.

XLBGE 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the egg's ceramic is what makes it so stable at temp (in addition to the vent controls, i mean).  but it's a double edged sword:  can't laud the thing for holding heat in so well over 20+ hour long cooks, then expect it to cool down instantly.  the very thing that makes a metal gas grill cool quickly is also what makes it a poor performer, and why it's so hot to the touch at 600+.

it's not your coals that are still hot necessarily, it's the ceramic.  as long as it is cool enough to touch, the cover shouldn't melt, if that's the issue.

if you are worried about burning too much lump, you aren't. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Hey it is all good. On a cooler night, after eating am meal from the egg, we sit around it and soak in it's warmth. ;)) Depends what temp you were cooking with, but it does take a while (hours) for it to cool off. Only down side I can see is if you were tailgating and wanted to leave shortly after using the egg. Hey stike, post that picture of how you cooled yours off. That was great!!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    here you go
    makes the cooler lighter, and makes the egg cooler

sorry for the fullsize pics.

did this at an eggfest too, picking up my buddy's large BGE :))

people freaking out "what the hell are you doing?!?!?!"

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I LOVE it. O:-) =)) =D> =))
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Problem solved! ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Options

I guess I have a question to add to this. After I get done cooking on the egg and let it cool down a bit I would like to throw the cover back on it, but the temp is still around 200-150 or even a little more if i do a high temp cook. I end up leaving the cover off and forget about till the next day. Last night this happenend it rained pretty hard last night. Well now that I have rambled on my question is can I throw the cover back on even if the egg is still pretty hot. My fear is that I would melt the cover even though it has air vents in it.

FYI- I have the big heavy duty Egg cover that covers my egg and 5ft. table.

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    My Egg sits uncovered year 'round in the infamously wet Seattle climate with no problems.  All the cover seemed to do for me is trap moisture and encourage mold/moss growth.