Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Howdy! Let me introduce myself......

Options
Chunky_Charc
Chunky_Charc Posts: 56
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have had my eye on an Egg for sometime, just waiting for my gasser to run its course.  Well my wife surprised me with a large Egg for Father's Day.  I discovered this forum a couple of month's ago and used your wonderful information and links to research and basically make myself miserable until I actually got the Egg.

I cooked a couple of whole chickens as soon as I got the Egg home and setup.  I cooked it at about 275 for maybe 2 hours (I forgot to look at what time I put them on the grill but I did monitor the temp of the chickens until they reached 170).  Next time I will have to note start and stop times.  Bottomline, the chickens were just perfect...super moist with a perfectly crisp skin.  I was more impressed than I expected....so was my wife.  I look forward to many more cooks.

Thanks for all the help this forum has been up to now.  Hopefully I will be able to throw out some good ideas and contribute, but I imagine I will still be learning much from the real cooks on this forum.

Look forward to the conversations!

Chunky_Charc

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    And again, welcome. Your Egg will make you cooking so much easier, and let you try things you've never done before.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You've probably made the best purchase you will ever make in life. It was for me. Happy egging!!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    edited June 2012
    Options

Welcome and enjoy-what follows are a few things I learned from the school of hard knocks-you may have seen them already but just in case-

on indirect cooks (platesetter in) your dome temp will initially read around 20-40*F hotter than the temp at the cooking grid-gaps narrows the longer the dome is shut.  If not specified, cooking  temperatures reference the dome temp.  Check the calibration of your dome thermo before you start.  Always wait til the smoke is burning "clear" before putting your food on..(if smoke smells good then all is well, if not-wait)

With regard<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> to quantity of lump-bottom-line you can never load too much lump.  The air flow will dictate the size of the fire-so I would load to around the top of the fire box to ensure you have plenty of fuel.  On chips vs chunks for smoking-I use chips (cuz I have lots from another life) which I spread throughout the lump load.  Others use chunks (kinda like Ford vs Chevy).

Best basic info site going- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  Enjoy the journey-and ask away-someone is always willing to help and if no one knows the answer we can always make one up:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    I cooked a couple of whole chickens as soon as I got the Egg home and setup.  I cooked it at about 275 for maybe 2 hours (I forgot to look at what time I put them on the grill but I did monitor the temp of the chickens until they reached 170).  Next time I will have to note start and stop times.
    Just as a note - stop times are always going to be an approximation as every cook is different. One chicken is slightly larger than the other, one load of lump has more small bits than another, etc... etc... Cook by dome temp and food temp (using a calibrated dome thermometer and good quality instant read thermometer) and you'll be on the right path.
  • Chunky_Charc
    Options
    Thanks everyone...great advice.  And lousucab you answered a question I was going to ask next concerning dome vs grill temp....thanks for reading my mind!

Chunky
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Welcome!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • BigGreenJon
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Lucky to have a LG Egg My Blog: http://manvsgrill.blogspot.com/