Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new XL's fire grate has larger holes than my older one.

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
When I went to clean out my new XL for the first time this weekend, I notice that the holes in the firegrate are bigger than the one in the XL I bought in March.  The new holes are 7/8 inch diameter and the old fire grate has 3/4 inch diameter holes.  Did BGE do anything else new to the XL since March?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Got my new XL back in December. My buddy helped me put it together, he also owns a XL, and thats the first thing he noticed was the holes in the fire grate were a lot larger than his. Mine also came with a platesetter, and he said his didn't.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    No BGE comes with a platesetter.  Many dealers package them together and sell them that way.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Hi I'm new here, curious as to what happen to your old one did it crack? my XL did
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Probably how it happenend then Cowdogs, mine was a Christmas present from the wife, and they more than likely told her that it was an essential piece to the egg. She told me it came with it. Sorry for the confusion.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @tyenic1
    Maybe not. My LBGE came with a plate setter as a brisket.

XLBGE 
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Maybe not. My LBGE came with a plate setter as a brisket.
    That's a dealer bundle, they don't come that way from the mothership.  See: http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/sizes/
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Hi I'm new here, curious as to what happen to your old one did it crack? my XL did
    My first XL developed a 6 inch crack in the base at the back.  The mothership agreed to a new base under warranty and my dealer swapped out the base when they delivered my second XL.  The new XL has the bigger holes.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Ellis
    I have no mothership to go to. I pick up a used one, it was perfect when I got it, maybe 2 many TRex steaks. I'll go to local sheet metal and have them make a nice strap and have it powder coated. Anyone out there thats mothershipless have any other idea's
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    ^^^ glue it with cement designed for high heat.   There are several posts on here from people repairing plate setters that might get you pointed in the right direction.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ellis
    Thanks Ragtop, I found that JB Weld max temp is 500 and Greenpatch was in a 55 lb bag. Litle more then I need.
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    If I remember right my bge guy told me the new Xl had a couple of changes. The holes are bigger in the fire plate and I think he said the fire ring now has the gap in it for expansion purposes. This helped from the older models that were having breaking problems. Just told this but not certain if it is a fact!