Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first attempt at pizza

Options
JwgreDeux
JwgreDeux Posts: 139
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
This was an interesting, and satisfying, experience to say the least.  Not only was this my first time with pizza on the bge, but it was my first time with pizza dough period.  I made a run to publix and bought my ingredients for two pizzas (except for dough I ended up with enough toppings for ten pizzas).  Publix carries pre-mixed dough in the bakery area, so I went that route instead of making my own.  I watched a few videos online about taking a dough ball and tuning it into a proper pizza crust, and I must say I did pretty well.  Though my pies didn't end up perfectly round they turned out good.  A few observations for those getting ready to make their first attempt:
1, dough is very sticky so cover you prep area and your hands with fine corn meal,
2. if you don't have a pizza peel, prep on parchment paper and trim the excess paper from around the edges of the crust after it is formed,
3. if you don't have a peel good luck getting it on the egg (you'll need the luck, I almost ruined both of my pies trying to get them on),
4. leave the parchment paper on egg with the pizza for 2 minutes and then try to slide it out from under the pizza (did this on the second pizza and it worked out much better that way),
5. it doesn't require as much sauce and cheese to cover a pizza as you may expect so don't over buy at the store, one 8 oz bag of cheese and around 2 cups of sauce will do two pizzas. 

My egg was set up with the plate setter legs up, grate, and stone on the grate, preheated at 600.  The first pizza on was my wife's favorite, ham, pineapple and bell pepper.  Used a cold pizza stone with parchment to carry it from the kitchen to the egg on the deck and slid the parchment on to the heated stone on the egg, and then worked the parchment out from under the dough.  This was difficult and almost dumped my toppings off so be careful.  Let it cook in three minute intervals, rotating it a quarter turn each time, for about 12 minutes and she was done.  It turned out great, and while I was working on pizza number two, my wife and daughters had almost fully consumed pizza number one, here is what was left when I was able to take a pic:

pizza number two was for me and my father-in-law, meat lovers, pepperoni, prosciutto, ham, and bell pepper.  Same process as the first but I let the parchment remain on the egg for the first couple minutes before I worked it out from under the pizza and it seemed much easier. Here is number two:

imageimage

Both pizzas were as good as you could get at any restaurant I've ever had pizza at.  For the first time the process was quite a production, but I feel like it will go much smoother with a little experience under my belt. 

Comments

• Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    Options
    I have found that a cookie sheet makes a good substitute for a pizza peel.
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    edited June 2012
    Options

I agree on using the cookie sheet.

Flour would probably work better than cornmeal for dusting and stretching the dough. Cornmeal is useful for getting the pizza to slide onto the stone, but it's not needed if you're using parchment.

• Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    Options
    From the pictures it looks like you are pulling the whole pizza stone off the egg?  I normally leave the pizza stone on the egg and use the cookie sheet to transfer the pizza only.
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    no, that is a room temp stone.  I didn't have anything around the house to use to get on and off, so I used parchment on top of a room temp stone to carry it to and from the egg. Never removed the bge stone I was cooking with.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Grats, now next step is some flour , water and yeast and u can make the dough from scratch. Better yet I used double 00 flour for the first time it was easier to work with and better.
    Once you get it down you are adding 15 min prep time and u can let em sit and rise for as little as 45 min. Pizza making gets fun, and you get a little bit better every time.
    Seattle, WA
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    Options
    Glad you had some success on your first try.  My first pizza I put on sort of stuck to the peel and flipped half way over.  Once it hits the hot stone good luck moving it around too. lol.  After a little practice I'm doing good now.

Grab a pizza peel.. they run about 12 bucks.  I have even seen them at target.  It makes it pretty easy to get the pizza on and off the stone.  I don't use parchment paper just the peel with some flour dusted on it.