Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water coming out of the bottom vent

Options
dogfood411
dogfood411 Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, this is weird. I live up in the Cascades in WA and have owned the egg just over 6 months. I've had trouble with wet charcoal (not getting the high temps I've been looking for except with the first pour from the bag), but now I'm seeing temps around 400 deg and when I shut down, there is water drip-drip-dripping out of the bottom vent. I keep it pretty tightly sealed (there is no leaking smoke) and this just started. 
Any ideas?

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Did you do any low and slows without a drip pan? Mine did the same thing when I forgot to use my drip pan.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    My XL does it and I use a drip pan everytime. I think it happens when moisture gets inside the egg when its not used for several weeks. No big deal.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    My XL does it and I use a drip pan everytime. I think it happens when moisture gets inside the egg when its not used for several weeks. No big deal.
    I could never go several week without firing up my Egg!  ;D 
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    I start getting the shakes after one day without the egg.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Fly310
    Fly310 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the same thing on my large.  I am pretty sure it has to do with the humidity in the outside air which (hopefully!) is cooler than the aluminum parts of the lower vent, hence condensation. 
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I could never go several week without firing up my Egg!  ;D 

You would if you owned three! I can't cook constantly on all three. My XL gets used only on large cooks every other month or so.