Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger Here

Humphris
Humphris Posts: 12
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well it took almost 2 years from the first time I had some pulled pork on one, but I convinced my wife to purchase me an LBGE for Fathers Day and Our 12 year anniversary just a couple weeks ago.

I have now cooked on it every weekend and can tell you I am hooked, I am going to be selling my stainless grill and purchasing a SBGE as well now so I can do appetizers and such at the same time. I came to that conclusion yesterday when cooking dogs, chicken sausage, hamburgers, and Bacon wrapped scallops after I completed some roasted corn.  Everything tastes awesome but I would have liked the bacon to be more done and just couldn't do it with the multiple temp needs for all of it.

Now my next project is going to be a table for both.  Thinking of soapstone for the top and either cypress or cedar for the base, stained with a grayish tone.  I will have to post progress pics as well.

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Welcome aboard!! I look foward to your post. I know you will enjoy every cook on the egg.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

Welcome to the forum.  I am fairly new here as well, but learning something everytime I go on here.

One word of warning about using soapstone for the top.  It is a great material, but very porous (sp)

I have seen it on kitchen countertops and needs to be sealed often.  Don't want to discourage you, just share my experience.  Looking forward to the pictures.

• Humphris
    A2Z i had originally thought that would be required but then while doing the research came across an article that only stated you needed to oil it and not to seal it.  Oiling only aids in ensuring even coloration rather than providing a seal of any kind.  I have Granite throughout the house and thought of doing that but I am looking for a particular color and thought soapstone would be different and for an outdoor grill station a rock is a rock right :)
  • Humphris
    Here is a link where it states that http://www.soapstones.com/soapstone_care.html  Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing this.