Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Combo Top Use Question + Wood Source

Options
Dooms-Dave
Dooms-Dave Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large and use the combo top. I have had decent success controling my temperature so far, but what happens is when I open the top, the slider (duh) slides, either opened or closed depending on which way it was put on. Then I close the top and have to re-adjust to where I thought it was.[p]Is this standard operation? [p]I wasn't sure if I need to set it and then tighten the two bolts to hold my position with the thing.[p]Also, after I complete my beer butt experiments, I want to get some wood chips and start smokin. Please suggestions of where to get (stores + brand names)and how much I need (is a handfull per cook enought, and can you even buy less than a few pounds). I wanted to start mild, so Pecan and Alder were my thoughts. Yours are appreciated.[p]Thanks. -DD

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Dooms-Dave,[p]Check out Tim M's site. He has an excellent diagram that answers that problem.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    slide-daisy.jpg
    <p />Dooms-Dave,[p]No - you have it setup wrong. As you change the openings of the top it requires that the base of the top also be moved so that the top is "ALWAYS" perpendicular to the hinge. I did a picture of it some time ago to help people understand and its on my website with lots more stuff that might help you out. [p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/[p]Tim M
    [ul][li]-- Tim's BGE cookbook/website --[/ul]
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Dooms-Dave,[p]To answer your second question: You can get wood chips/chunks from a number of sources. Places like Wal*Mart and Home Depot will usually have hickory and Mesquite in bot chip and chunk form. For more obscure woods, you can go to BBQs Galore (they usually have hickory, oak, pecan, alder, apple, cherry, mesquite) or someplace like Bed, Bath abd Beyond (they usually carry the small bags of chips -- hickory, mesquite, oak (wine barrel), apple). If you are unable to find a store in your neighborhood, you can order from BGE or from someplace like www.peopleswoods.com, keeping in mind that stuff like this may not be cheap to ship if it gets heavy. As far as what woods to start with and how much to use, I think pecan is good, but so is hickory -- I find alder to be good for salmon, but I don't use it for much else to be honest. As far as how much to use, start out with a handful of chips and see how that goes. So much depends on your personal taste that the best thing I can tell you to do is to experiment to find out how much to use. Also remember that much of the smoke is absorbed at the beginning of the cook. [p]MikeO
  • Dooms-Dave
    Dooms-Dave Posts: 15
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thanks for a lesson in (un)common sense. The pictures tell it all.
    -DD

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dooms-Dave,
    MikeO's post, below this one, on smoking woods is excellent.[p]Also, depending on where you live, look in your backyard, or in a nearby forest. We have hickory, black cherry, maple, red, white and pin oak, and many other good somkin trees in our backyard, and I am putting them to good use! Gather fat branches that fall....or that you cut, let them dry for several months to a year, chop it into chunks and you got smokin wood.[p]Smoke on.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ