Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Butt

Options
MDHog
MDHog Posts: 43
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've got a frozen butt in the freezer, and the question is how to go about thawing. 

Has anyone just put the rub on and put a frozen butt right on the egg? Probably would only add about 1-2 hours to cooking time I would guess, and easier than letting it sit out and thaw for hours on the counter. There would probably be a lot more moisture but that's what drip pans are for?

Would this work?

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Someone did it on the other forum without any problems. It may have been Little Steven but I'm not sure. I say go for it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    Options
    toss it right in, no need to thaw.

there's virtually no difference in cooktime.  i mean, there IS, but you won't notice it, because two perfectly thawed butts can vary an hour or more anyway. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

As Hungry Joe mentions-been done before-not me-with no issues except as you note an extended cook time.  Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    was littlesteven.  i don't think he ever noticed any extended cool time, since two thawed 8 pound butts can finish hours apart anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Maybe not the same thing but(t) many of the chicken cooks I do the bird is still somewhat frozen. The outer layer is not and the rub stick to it just fine. I didn't a turkey on thanks giving that way also. No problems at all.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    toss it right in, no need to thaw.

there's virtually no difference in cooktime.  i mean, there IS, but you won't notice it, because two perfectly thawed butts can vary an hour or more anyway. 
    +1

Totally agree, get it on.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I did one a few weeks ago only let the outside thaw enough to remove the fat cap, score the outside, and apply rub. It turned out great. It cooked for 16 hours so I'm not sure if it took extra time. It didn't matter so I didn't worry about it. Only issue was that I couldn't get a probe in it for the first few hours so it was one extra trip to the Egg. No big deal.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    I've never cooked a Frozen Butt. I think I dated her sister! ;D