Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

to speed up a cook or not to speed up a cook

Options
Don't Egg me on
Don't Egg me on Posts: 57
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm at 180 internal temp on a 14lb brisket (packer) and I'm about 45mins to an hour from needing to have this thing done for my son's bday party. Would y'all turn up the temp? If so how high and do y'all think it will mess with the out come (moist vs. dry)? I've been cooking along at 250 for 20hrs.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I will let someone else advise about the speed up or not, but the lesson here is, if at all possible, start your briskets, pull pork and other low and slows early enough to give you a 3 hr or so window.

If it is done 3 hrs. sooner than you need it, just FTC and it is ready exactly when you want it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    go ahead. Take it up to 275-300 to power it home. It won't hurt a thing

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Cooking at higher temps doesn't make the meat dry, over cooking it does.
    No problem cranking it up.  At 180, it will start rising pretty rapidly now anyway.
    Good luck.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    Another tip for time-critical cooks - slice those big pieces in half.  More surface area=faster cooks.  (And more outside brown, which I don't find to be a fault at all.)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Another tip for time-critical cooks - slice those big pieces in half.  More surface area=faster cooks.  (And more outside brown, which I don't find to be a fault at all.)

Hi Elde, I respectfully disagree on cutting a brisket packer in half before cooking. Pork buts are OK but briskets really dry out in smaller cuts before getting tender. They are so finicky, I think you are asking for trouble if you cut them down to smaller pieces. I would rather push them through at higher temps than cut them down
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Hi Elde, I respectfully disagree on cutting a brisket packer in half before cooking. Pork buts are OK but briskets really dry out in smaller cuts before getting tender. They are so finicky, I think you are asking for trouble if you cut them down to smaller pieces. I would rather push them through at higher temps than cut them down
    I've never done much brisket other than corned beef, so I'll defer to your wisdom...  But in my defense, I missed that he said "brisket" and fixated on the "pork" in Duganboy's reply.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've never done much brisket other than corned beef, so I'll defer to your wisdom...  But in my defense, I missed that he said "brisket" and fixated on the "pork" in Duganbutt's reply.
    Wisdom?????

=))

If that is what you call ruining enough Briskets to feed an army, I guess I am a wise old sage.

Hope you are having a good day. Just cracking a brisket as we speak so all good here.