Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Gasket Question

SouthGaSmoker
SouthGaSmoker Posts: 98
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi all, this is my first post here, but I've been lurking in the shadows for about 6 months.  I've been doing a rib cook today and have been having a heckuva time regulating the temperature on my Lg BGE.  I have a PartyQ and it has done a pretty good job in the past, but today I have the Q set for 250 and went out to check and the temp reading on the Q was 350+ with the fan not running.  I doubled checked with my Maverick and got a reading of 290 albeit on the raised grid.  Q was attached to the lower grid.  Will a fried gasket allow the temp to get out of control on the high side?  It seems if the Q  wasn't operating right, it would choke the fire out instead of letting it run hot.  Any help is appreciated.!!

St. Mary's, GA

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @SouthGaSmoker I had the same problem and most of the Guru owners seemed to think I had the DW vents open too much. 
  • Thanks Dugan, I had the DW cracked about 3/16".  I'll close it a bit more next time.

@SouthGaSmoker I had the same problem and most of the Guru owners seemed to think I had the DW vents open too much. 

St. Mary's, GA
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Was the partyq choked? I have to choke my pit viper to about 1/3 or 1/4. It may seem obvious, but the blower/dw have to be set for below your target temp, or else your controller isn't going to do anything.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Was the partyq choked? I have to choke my pit viper to about 1/3 or 1/4. It may seem obvious, but the blower/dw have to be set for below your target temp, or else your controller isn't going to do anything.
    How do you choke the PartyQ blower?
    St. Mary's, GA
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited June 2012
    LMAO, well first you grab her neck....

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Joking aside, my digiq has a sliding piece of metal with 3 levels, i keep it at half or 1/3 and DW 1/16 on an inch. Not sure if the party q is the same.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Joking aside, my digiq has a sliding piece of metal with 3 levels, i keep it at half or 1/3 and DW 1/16 on an inch. Not sure if the party q is the same.

No such luck with the PartyQ, I knew I shouldve saved up for the DigiQ!
    St. Mary's, GA