Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where's the smoke

Dannyo14
Dannyo14 Posts: 19
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am six months into this egg greatness. One question I have is when I am doing a smoke with chips I get a blast of smoke when I first put them on but then nothing after about 30 minutes. I soak them for a few hours and cook things at 215 ish. A, I still getting smoke but not seeing it? Smoking some onions and tomatoes for a salad dressing tonight.

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    No need to soak, and try using chunk instead of chips. I use both, and for longer duration of smoke chunk is the way to go. You can get the same result with chips if you place them in a spiral pattern out from the center, presuming you light your fire in the center.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Your chips are gone after 30 minutes.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118

You don't want billowing smoke like you would from an offset or something.  The chunk will initially let off lots of smoke, but then then it will smolder for a while.  I put my meat in after the visible smoke from the chuncks clear.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    whether it's chunks or chips, try putting them up and down in the center in a column among the lump chunks.  the fire won't burn outward so much as downward.  patterns of wood on top of the lump tend to stay there as the fire dives under it all.

chips aren't burnt up any faster than chunks, it's the amount of each that makes the difference.  an equivalent amount of wood will yield similar results.

wood does not burn in the egg (flames).  it will smolder.  the billowing whit smoke you see is from water (especially if you soak them)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Use your nose rather than your eyes... if you can smell smoke, so can your food.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Ohh.... I guess I thought you were talking about something else... carry on. :):):):):)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Dannyo14
    Dannyo14 Posts: 19
    Thanks everybody. I will try all of these. What's the worse that can happen? More great food!
  • stike
    btw, everyone here gets a prize for successfully avoiding mentioning the myth (which is false) that "smoke only flavors food for the first hour anyway".

hahahaha
  • btw, everyone here gets a prize for successfully avoiding mentioning the myth (which is false) that "smoke only flavors food for the first hour anyway".

hahahaha
    Right!  Because everybody knows that smoke quits flavoring after 30 minutes :-/

But seriously, I did not know that was a myth.  Its amazing the thighs I learn on this forum.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • No smoke stops flavouring the meat at 140*. according to the myth
  • stike
    steven must die.....