Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party Cook Ideas

Options
fletcherfam
fletcherfam Posts: 935
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Afternoon all!

I am egging it up for my wife's 30th birthday next weekend and wanted some suggestions on entrees. I only have the egg, no platesetter or pizza stone. I did the "homemade" raised grid with bolts so I can do direct or raised direct cooks. Some basic options I am thinking of are as follows:

1. ABTs
2. burgers
3. Chicken
4.???

Rest of the family is bringing side dishes so I don't need to worry about that. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited June 2012
    Options
    No recipe suggestions, but given you can do raised grid, should you find something that works best "indirect" then you can use any type deflector on the lower grid to act as a platesetter and go with it.  Fire bricks work best but anything that can take the heat will get the job done.  May expand the menu.  Enjoy the party-and if you can, finish early so no stress over getting it prepped and ready to go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Grilled Romaine is always a crowd pleaser. It's fast and easy to boot.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Scallops and shrimp wrapped in bacon or pancetta drizzled or brushed with melted butter
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Options
    Grilled pizza - directly on the grid - is excellent. I'm new to the egg and haven't done it on the egg yet. But have done it on my gas grill several times. Check out Cooksillustrated.com for a grilled pizza recipe. My guess would be raised direct at anywhere from 450-500 would work best.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    If you can make an indirect cook happen- you can do a pork butt. Then use it for BBQ butt pizza. You could make some jerky a few days early.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    MOINK Balls or turtle eggs. More of an app than an entree.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Options
    Any kind of stick meat. Sate, shishkabob, kafta, souvlaki or spedini. All the prep is done in advance and cooks are quick. Easy to do large numbers on the egg.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    This is interesting.  We are planning a summer BBQ party for ~40 adults plus kids. 

Kids are easy - burgers/hotdogs/chicken fingers/nuggets on the gasser.

Want to make a main meat (brisket or pork butt (what ever is easier)).  Also want ot make a bunch of appetizers link the Moink balls, turtle eggs, ABT's etc.  How can I accomplish all of this on a large BGE?

Say I am planning on guests arriving at 2:00-3:00 and plan on dinner at 6.  I also do not mind setting up the egg and checking in on it but will have hire a hostess to put the food out etc and I do not want to be standing over the Egg during the party. 

If I plan to smoke a pork butt on a raised adjustable rig can I get the appetizers underneath it for an hour or two?

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As above, if you have made a raised grill with bolts, all you need to do an indirect cook is put something on the BGE grill on the lower level. A double thickness of HD foil works OK.

Then, what have you done, or what do you have time to practice cooking before the event? Not a good idea to jump into something for the first time when serving company.

I think Little Stevens suggestion of meat on a stick is good. They seem very festive to me. Can have pork, chicken, lamb, etc. all on one stick. Or just one meat, but marinaded 4 or 5 different ways. Its an easy cook, and hard to mess up.

Or would you like to go fancier? Pork loins, sliced open and stuffed, and then rolled and tied can make a roast big enough for quite a few people. The slices make for a nice presentation.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    SpatchCooked Chicken is easy and can be done with or without a platesetter. Comes out great either way.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    4) Alcohol, any kind will do. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Well for the cook I attempted ribs as I had the time earlier in the day, then did 14 pounds of chicken skewers, and 16 dogs. Everyone loved everything. Thought the ribs were a little dry, but still enjoyed them.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Of course alcohol will be served - If I start that earlier maybe the guests will think my shotty cooking is better than it is.

Garnerville, NY
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I am planning this week for 20+ backyard party on saturday.  I have gone back and forth considering the fact that I do not want to be glued to the Egg all party, but I really want to showcase some awesome food.  I have decided on: 
    • 12 lb pork shoulder  - in the night before and have it resting in cooler couple hours before guests come, then shred during party for some presentation points
    • 40 shrimp done during the party - on egg with tail shell still on - 20 HOT (evo/smoked paprika/cayenne) and 20 SWEET (done with sweet chili sauce marinade) all on grill for ~3 mins per side at 450-500F 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”