Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Extender with PSWoo3

Options
Duke_sta
Duke_sta Posts: 26
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Where can I buy a grill extender? Will it work with a PSWoo3?

Comments

• GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    Options
    I was able to get an extender in the last batch that ceramic grill store had.  But when i thought I couldn't I looked at using stainless carriage bolts with nuts and washers on a 16.5" grid.  i think a 4 or 5 inch bolt dropped through the grill with a washer and nut underneath, and a second nut on the bottom with just a little bolt sticking out to fit into the stock BGE grid would be a cheap easy extender.
  • Duke_sta
    Options
    Any pictures of this? Thanks for your reply
  • GeauxEggin
    edited June 2012
    Options

Here is a very quick and somewhat pitiful MSPaint sketch of what I had in mind.  With 3 or 4 of these around the edge of the 16.5" grill you would have a grill extender that could be as tall or short as you'd like
  • Duke_sta
    Options
    So should this be a permanent setup or could it be removed or setup again easily?

Fantastic, excellent job. Thanks for replying!
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options

The diagram says it all. I made one with a grate I bought at Lowes and SS bolts etc., worked so well I made another set for a different height.Use a large retaining washer for the "feet" and it is stable and works great! Easy to remove and replace.

• Duke_sta
    Options
    Thanks, I get it now. It sits on top of the BGE grill and with 3 bolts (legs) it should stand properly and when you want to remove it just pick it up. I thought it went under the grill bolted in. Is this correct?

Thanks for chiming in!
  • GeauxEggin
    Options
    Thats correct duke_sta.  It just rests on the BGE Grid, Just leave a little of the bolt sticking out the bottom so that it goes between the bars on the BGE grid so that it won't slip around.
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Do you use a plate setter for indirect? I have seen that some people use bricks instead. Do you tinfoil plate setter so no grease builds up or drip pan etc....?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • GeauxEggin
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I use a plate setter in my PsWoo2 legs up for low and slows, usually with a drip pan.  I use the plate setter for Chicken wings and don't use a drip pan.  Anything that falls on to the plate setter will either be burnt off next time I cook a pizza, or I'll go legs down and do a clean burn.